Problems building a Desktop PC: Help needed!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAVOC

Fully Optimized
I hope someone can shed some light on this issue. Ok. here's the deal. I've been building PC's for about 2 years now. Never had a problem. A friend of mine came to me and asked me to build him a desktop. We ordered all of the parts online from newegg.com and they arrived last thursday. I built it on friday night.

Here's the specs:
Pentium 4 2.8GHz LGA 775 Model 520
Stock heatsink and fan.
MOBO - PC Chips M957G microATX
Athenatech case - 350w PSU microATX & ATX form factor
1 gig of ram (2x512)
Hitachi SATA HD 120gig 7200rpm
CD-ROM Drive
CD-burner
Floppy drive

Ok, so first i installed the processor LGA 775 is a no brainer socket. Followed all cautious measures. Installed heatsink & fan and memory. Installed the MOBO in the case properly. Installed and drive devices properly. Hooked up all power and device wires properly. (Front panel power switch & reset & led light hooked from MOBO manual.)

Now here's the problem.

I plug in a monitor, keyboard & mouse and pull in power cable.
Press the button on front panel of case. NOTHING. Play around with the button on PSU. NOTHING. NO POWER. NOTHING.

I take it all apart and rebuild it, looking to see if i forgot something. Put it all back to get. Push the power button. NOTHING. No fans no lights. Nothing. So i remove the PSU and try another one that I have. same watts. Hook it all up. Same thing NOTHING.

Any ideas as to what is wrong? Please Help. If you need more info about anything... please ask.

make shure ur ram is in there correctly.. lol i didnt put it in right one time... U should have a power cord from ur PSU to ur mobo (top left) . U should have cables in the lower left labled PWR Switch and read ur booklet on were those goes on ur mobo.

Does the mobo have an idle led? If so you could at least check to see if that has power. If it does I think the power switch connectors foreverxyoung mentioned could be the culprit. Hopefully not a bad mobo.

The power switch cables are installed correctly on the motherboard. There are 4 wires coming from the front panel of case.

Here is what the MOBO manual says.

PINS and where the wires go:

1.) HD_LED_P(+) 2.) FP PWR/SLP(+)
3.) HD_LED_N(-) 4.) FP PWR/SLP(-)
5.) RESET_SW_N(-) 6.) POWER_SW_P(+)
7.) RESET_SW_P(+) 8.) POWER_SW_N(-)
9.) RSVD_DNU 10.) KEY

The four wires coming from the case front panel i have set up in the following.

yellow/white (labeled) H.D.D LED - yellow to pin 1/white to pin 3
blue/white (labeled) RESET SW - blue to pin 7/white to pin 5
orange/white (labeled) POWER SW - orange to pin 6/white to pin 8
there is a green/white wire also. but it has a molex connecter to it. and i plugged that into a molex connecter from PSU.

Also the Vcore four pin cable from PSU is plugged in to board and well and the MOBO power connecter.

Any ideas?

Okay first of all, does your MOBO show any indication (ie LED lights, digital clock etc.) that it is recieving power from the PSU???

You should get a red light on the mobo for when the PSU is giving it power. And also make sure that the PSU switch is in the correct position when you are checking.

no there is no digital clock or LED that shows that the PSU is providing any power to the motherboard. Also, i've played arounded with every combo of the PSU button and front panel switch wiring.

If it's a bad motherboard would what i'm experiencing be the sympton?

Re:

...is there a voltage selector on the back of the PSU...? And if there is...is it set to the correct voltage ?

The correct number shoed should be 115 NOT 220.

Do you have another motherboard you could test the PSU on. Just plugging in the 12pin and 4 pin power cables to the MOBO will be enough to check if the other MOBO is getting power from the PSU.

Or another PSU to test with the PCCHIPS motherboard???

first dont mess with the voltage 115 or the other 220 becuz if u turn ur computer on and it actualy works but 2 much voltage u can damage it so bad 2 a point of no repair and i had the same problem when i installed my new motherboard it wudnt turn on and i unpluged my front panel usb plug that goes 2 teh motherboard and my comp tujrned on the reason was i pluged it in wrong so make sure U HAVE PLUGED EVERYTHING IN RITE!!! or else it wnot turn on!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom