Problem with WD SATA hd... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 04-24-2004, 07:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Problem with WD SATA hd...

Hey there
I was hoping somebody would be able to help me here
I've just purchased an Abit DigiDice along with a new Western Digital 120GB SATA drive.

When I want to install Win XP, I boot up from my cd, but when I get to the point where I shall choose which partition to install on, the installation doesn't recognize the drive - I just see 4 "unknown" disks, which can't be formatted :/

So I tried installing XP on an IDE drive, which was no problem. I then got to Windows, and found out that it thinks my SATA drive is 4 individual moveable USB drives

Does anyone know why, and maybe a solution? Is my hd defect?

Old 04-24-2004, 07:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

By the way, the sticker on the top doesn't say much about the jumper settings, and how to set them up, so I don't know if they are placed correctly :s

I will have one SATA drive and one IDE drive installed... How should those two disks be set up (master/slave)?

Old 04-24-2004, 12:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Okay, I now got the computer to recognize my SATA drive as a hd

But it seems like I can't make the SATA drive master, and the IDE slave, but as I can't see how to place the jumpers, I can't see how to set the SATA drive as slave
Does anyone know, how my jumper settings should be?
Old 04-24-2004, 01:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Send a message via AIM to Shrapnill

SATA is jumperless. To set the IDE at master set its jumpers to master setting. Slave for slave.

Sorry I didnt catch this earlier, coulda helped you with the SATA install...

So to boot from the IDE, youll install XP as you did before. To solve the drive issue with SATA you need to install SATA drivers... which Im guessing you did to get XP to recognize them (hit F6 during setup?).
System specs? Lets just get down to it people:

My penis is bigger than yours.
Old 04-24-2004, 05:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

i found this its the jumper settings for the WD
Old 04-24-2004, 07:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Well, I can't install the SATA drivers during the install, because my computer doesn't have a floppy drive, and I can't install one either

I managed to get the drive working now (hadn't set the BIOS up properly). Now there's just some new problems:
If I set the IDE drive as slave, the SATA will be master, right?
Well, when the IDE is slave, the SATA will show as master on the primary IDE, but the IDE drive doesn't show at all.
If I set the IDE as master, it will show up as master, but the SATA drive will now be the master of the Third IDE port I atleast want it to be slave on the primary...

Anyways, I installed XP on the SATA drive (3. Master), and I can get it working... But now, instead of the 4 Moveable USB drives, I have two (I don't have any!)

Why do they show up, when the drive should be working?
And how can I set the SATA drive as either master or slave on the primary port?

I don't get this
Old 04-24-2004, 07:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Correction: I still have 4 USB drives installed
And thanks for the jumper settings, by the way

Closed Thread