Problem with videocard??? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 06-06-2004, 02:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Angry Problem with videocard???

I have a Radeon 9700 series display card and there's a problem with it. When I scroll a page the text gets all scrambled. Also when viewing images or video files there are some errors on the display. And newer games are the worst, they're almost unplayable due to the flickering and dot's and mess I see on the monitor. This problem goes away when I disable all hardware accelerations from the settings of the video card. Also I'm pretty sure the problem is definately in the card since when I connect it to a TV the problems are there also, not only in the monitor. So could anybody help me with this or do I have to take the card to a professional to fix it? Thanks!

Old 06-06-2004, 04:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Send a message via AIM to ATIRAGEPRO Send a message via Yahoo to ATIRAGEPRO
Cool "The Matrix: Resolutions"

This dosn't sound like a problem with the card itself. It could mean that you have the wrong (Or outdated)display drivers. Update your drivers here at:

Originally posted by bonehelm

I just found out I\'ve been using direct X 8.1 since its out.
He who knows when enough is enough will always have enough... - Lao Tzu
Old 06-06-2004, 09:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie
Send a message via AIM to Soloman02

it could also mean that the card is getting really hot ( which causes artifacts) check the heatsink and see if it is hot, also, check the mem chips to see if they are hot
Desktop specs:
AMD Athlon XP 2500+@ 200x11 - EPoX 8rda3I - Thermaltake 420watt silent PSU - 2x512MB PNY PC3200(DualChannel) - TT HSF - PNY 5900SE, 128MB DDR, 256-bit - - Toshiba SD-R5002: DVD-RW - NEC DVD-RW - 2 Antec 80mm fans - 1 Delta 92mm fan - 1 Antec 120mm fan- 1 TT 120mm fan - Windows XP Pro - WD special edition 80GB 7200 RPM- Seagate 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB cache - Onboard Sound - Onboard Ethernet

Notebook specs:
ACER Travel Mmate 4000LCi - Intel Pentium M 710 - 15\" XGA TFT - 512MB DDR333 - 40 GB HD - DVD-rom/CD-RW Drive - WLAN 802.11b/g - Winxp Home - Intel Extreme Graphics - Average Battery Life: 4-5 hours - 6.4 lbs
Old 06-07-2004, 01:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I updated the driver and it didn't help. I've been thinking it might be the heat. For a few minutes after startup everything is fine but then it gets messy again. Is there any way to fix this by myself?
Old 06-07-2004, 05:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie

I have a AIW 9700 Pro that had heat issues.I didnt see alot of artifacts etc...mine would just lock up like clock work on 3DMark02 nature scene .What i did was replaced the original fan with a fan from a hard drive cooler kit.
The fan is bigger than the original so you need to find the exact length of screws that will hold the fan securely on the heatsink,make sure its centerd also.Use the original fan socket and splice the new fan in.The fan i used spins at 3200 RPM .
Also check your bios and see what the voltage setting is.I have mine set at 1.5v .Go through your bios and make sure your settings are correct.You really shouldnt be seeing alot of artifacts like you described.Definately check for a Bios update.From what you decribed its like your overclocking it.So your voltage setting may be to high.Asus by defualt had my AGP v at 1.6 vMake sure you uninstall the card properly,I would even use Driver Cleaner 2 after you do the default removal to remove any remaining video card drivers.Power supply is important 300 watt or greater is needed(i recomend 400 wattor better).If possible go directly to the PS for your extra Voltage.
Make sure you have good air circulation through the case(very important).Adding the bigger fan requires an open slot below the card.On my setup i actually have 2 open slots and then my
Audigy 2 ZS SC .If you post alot more info about your setup i may have some more sugestions.Hope this helps .
Thermaltake Armor A90
Corsair HX1000W PS
i7 2600k / Cooler Master Hyper N 520
Asus P8Z68-V Pro / Gen 3
8 GIG Corsair Vengeance
eVGA GTX 570
SB Audigy2 Platinum
Kingston Hyper X120 SSD
WIN 7 - 64b
LG Blue Ray Super Multi Burrner
Logitech THX Z560
3x120mm - 1x200 mm case fans