problem running cd writer on ide to usb converter cable... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 11-23-2004, 09:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default problem running cd writer on ide to usb converter cable...

Hi people,

I have a fairly old laptop running windows 98 and just bought a yamaha cd writer and an ide to usb converter cable.

I have the jumper set to master and its running off a usb 1.1 port.

Whenever i start up the computer it hangs just before it would normally show the win 98 start up screen. If i start up the computer without the device connected, then plug it in, the computer won't recognise it at all.

The only way i have found any reaction from the computer is to start up with the device connected and hold 'ctrl' then select a step by step confirmation. For some reason a line 'c:/ tvdumpf lag=10' kept coming up on start up, so i avoid this in the step by step confirmation.

When windows loads it recognises the drive but it still won't actually work.

Device manager says that the device is working properly and doesn't require any drivers. There is also a program called 'usbmonitor' which appears to be working fine.

Any ideas??????

Old 11-25-2004, 06:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Closed Thread