Problem with monitor/video card/motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raekwon

Daemon Poster
a friends computer sorta died today. when you press the power button the tower turns on the harddrives spin etc, eveything is normal, but the monitor doesn come off standby, its like the monitor doesnt think the computer is on, im getting quite annoyed because i cant think of anything else to do, ive checked the graphics card in my computer, changed the ram to a different slot, taken out the battery and put it back in and still nothing. Any ideas?

Oh man...if I had a dollar for everytime I've heard this scenario I could afford a nice system by now. Does the power just come on and absolutely nothing happens? Like fans spinning and power is going through the machine, but no post, no beeps, no nothing like that? If thats the case......9 times out of 10 its a Dead/Damaged/Incorrectly Installed CPU. Sooooo pop off the heatsink and take a look at it. Make sure no grease is on the little connectors near the core. Make sure no pins are bent blah blah blah

sorry i took so long.

Microbell, i have done everything appart from 4 because i cant get into the bios because the screen doesnt come out of standby. also the graphics card works in my own computer, so its cant have damaged pins.

Nubius, i have taken the CPU out lots of times, i have looked for everything you have said, and still nothing. maybe its a dead CPU or could it possibly be the motherboard?

Yeah...there may be nothing visible with a CPU...I was just wondering if perhaps some good had gotten on connectors...if they hadn't and you said everything looked co0 then yeah I would say its a dead CPU. Unless you can get a spare CPU to put in the motherboard....if it boots up then you KNOW its the CPU, but if it still doesn't boot then it'd be your mobo. Chances are though....if the power is going to it all nice like that and your fans spin and whatnot...its the CPU..so I'm gonna lean like 75% towards that its that and 25% that it could be your mobo. Kinda need a spare CPU to test though =/

yeah, ive tried everything that both of you have said, appart from #4 of Microbell's post, because i cant get into the bios because the screen doesnt come off standby, so i think its probably a CPU failure. or could it possibly be a motherboard fault?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom