Problem with display

Status
Not open for further replies.

akapgsle

Beta member
I made an attempt to change out a noisy fan on an ATI Radeon 9600XT. I installed a Zalman VF700-alcu fan/heat sink, and when I powered back up, the screen was corrupted. A new pattern of columns of tightly packed green squares is visible from booting, characters drop out of the screen during the start-up sequence, and once XP loads, the screen has a ghost on almost all characters and icons and there are strange floating letters and characters on the screen. I have either fried the card or have corrupted the video bios, or have to reinstall the drivers.

Any help would be appreciated before I go out and buy a new card.

When does the screen become corrupted? If it before Windows boots up, then it cant be video drivers. Try reseating the heatsink on the card.

It is a problem from the start. I tried reseating the heat sink, and even r-installed the original fan and the problem is still there. Ugh.

I dont think you would be able to test it in the first place:(

If the problem occurs right from power-on, I think you might have cooked your vid card :(

Thanks for the confirmation. Off to the store. Any thoughts on a replacement card? Looking to spend less than $150 on a good card.

newegg has 6600GT's for around $160. i'm going to probably get one of those some time soon .

Things are looking up. Replaced the video card and am in great shape. Thanks for advice and input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom