problem connecting 2nd HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

wongb18c

In Runtime
My comp boots fine with only 1 HD... I try and connect a 2nd storage HD as a primary slave drive and everytime I connect it and boot the comp up... it's saying something about a
'disk error'. Windows just will not boot with the 2nd HD in... when I remove it it boots fine. I tried resetting bios and all still no good.

I recently installed a new MB if that's any helpful info.
I'm running win2k pro.
The second HD is not recognized by bios when I set the jumpers on the first HD to primary master. However the second HD is recognized as a primary master and the first HD recognized as a primary slave when I remove the jumper on the first HD. I dunno if that's useless extra info or not but either way when the 2nd HD is plugged in WINDOWS DOES NOT BOOT. Any help would be really appreciated. TIA newb here.

Some HD's have different jumper settings for MASTER and MASTER W/ SLAVE. Check the jumper settings and make sure you set the 1st drive to MASTER W/ SLAVE. This could be your problem...

Yeah what bobo said. The HD's usually have their jumper settings right on top. I'm looking at this one HD in my hand here for reference and it says

Master or single drive
Drive is Slave
Master with non-ATA compatible drive
Cable Select

Now oddly enough with my computer I had the same problem as you. The solution that worked out for me is selecting CABLE SELECT. Look at the top of the hard drive and see where it says to put the jumpers to get that. I can't remember if I have my master with the jumper set as master and my slave set to cable select or if both are set to cable select. Try it out =)

from reading what you did again, I'd first suggest trying putting both on cable select and just make sure the one you want to be the master is at the very end of the cable and your slave is on the connector thats in the middle of the IDE cable Hope this helps =)

You could try the cable select option. Unfortunately i have had no luck ever using cable select on my hard drives. But its worth a try.

Thanks guys I will try the cable select option and let you know how it turns out.... I hope it works.

I guess the "disk error" it gives me instead of starting windows is due to the confusion of which is mater which is slave? Is that right? From what I thought that didn't mattered, as long as one drive is bootable with an OS. Maybe I'm wrong.

Ok, I just tried the cable select on both HD's... the good news is the computer now boots up np... however the 2nd HD storage is not showing up.. not being recognized. And therefore I can't move files. What steps if there are any should I take next?

aright if you've tried cable select on both drives...have you tried having the one you want as master set to master w/slave and then have the slave set to cable select? I THINK that might be how my current set up is but I'm not a hundred percent sure. I either have them both cable select or the master set to Master w/slave and the slave set to cable select. Either way....in my opinion, the slave should be set to cable select.

BTW it not showing up is kinda weird. Just for sh!ts and giggles keep them both cable select and double make sure the IDE connector is pushed in all the way. If that doesn't work then go with setting the master as master w/slave like I said and the slave as cable....if you leave the master JUST as master then that'll probably cause conflict issues cause it won't be expecting a slave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom