Problem - Believed to be memory latency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rouen

In Runtime
I'm been considering upgrading my own computer for some time once my bills are paid and the money I'm making I can actually spend on myself lol. I just had a couple basic questions.

Which company makes the better processors, Pentium, or AMD? I've always used pentium, so I dont know what advantages or otherwise AMD has against pentium. I need to open my computer and find out what kind of slot my processor is so I can get a new mobo without buying a new CPU.

I've seen motherboards that boast 400 and 800mhz front side bus speeds. But is the data bus and address bus on them typically the same speed?

Here is a complex question. I play a game called Counter Strike, everyone knows what that is. But my FPS tends to drop to around 15 when the action gets heavy, and that makes the game 10 times harder to play when quick, precision aiming is key. I have 384 MB of ram at PC2100 (I think its 100 MHZ front side bus) I do not have the specifics on the mobo since I didn't buy the parts. I have a pentium 4 clocked at 2GHZ. My video card is a Radeon 9000 Family, and has 128 MB of VRAM. I'm trying to figure out what part of my system is causing the lag. I dont think its the video card because even when I turn down all the special effects, such as shadow rendering, turn color down to 16 bit, and increase the refresh rate to 75 hertz, and decrease resolution to 640x480 ((although the fps is better when run in a window at 1024x768)) The FPS is still down to 15 or even lower according to the net_graph 1 that I put on screen.

I know it isn't hte processor thats too slow, its speed is over 3 times what the game requires, it also has more then the recommended amount of memory. HOWEVER, my guess is that its the very low front side bus speed of 100 mhz. What do you think?

theres definatly something rong, perhaps your HD is full of crap and fragmented to shit, or some softwere conflict or mayb just a peice of defective hardware, what ever it may be, its not right lol.

my 1.1celeron 512pc133, gforce2 pci 64mb, 5400rpm wd... averages 75 to 125 fps in Q3.

The computer is custom built, it has never been successfully turned on, all the parts are brand new. My goal is to just get the POST to come up for the time being. I told him to disassemble the computer and start from scratch. Maybe he'll assemble it differently and fix the problem. Until he gets off his big butt to do it... :) Thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom