Problem Backing Up DVD Disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

4ls

Solid State Member
First question: How can a PC user determine if a blank DVD is recordable?

Second question: Is there anyone there who knows how to check the setup of primary and secondary IDE controllers. Also, how is the bus master controller set up in such a configuration.

My recent add-on DVD-RW drive is an external(USB) drive. Does the fact that this drive is external, USB make it foreign to my system?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

4ls

your dvd software will tell you if the dvd has already been written to. if you make a multisession disc you can add files many times.

your usb burner just need to have the drivers for it installed in windows for you to use it. there should have been a driver CD. if you dont have it goto the manufacturer website and download them

Hi, EK:

Guess I just don't communicate well by e-mail. I would have gotten a far most complex message than you apparently did.
Hey, I have been downloading for decades. I struggled through the DOS years. . . .I even owned a Commodore 64. . . .

Please don't be offended by those comments. Allow to clarify my problem, which is as I stated: How does a PC user detemine if the blank DVD that was just inserted is a recordable one.

I burned 100s of CDs with Adaptec software. As I recall, each time a blank CD was inserted, the user knew right away what to expect. If the CD was a dud, a message appeared telling the user that the CD could not be formatted.

If a similar situation occurs for you on your system, I envy you.
Also, I have read many posting at several forums that show that not always is there a message after the DVD blank is inserted.

On my AMD Athlon 1.67 GHz, 512 MB RAM system with a Pioneer DVR-106D(This is not a "rocket."), I sometimes get a Windows mutiple-choice pop-up prompting me to choose an action.

To make this message "briefest," please tell me if you know how to test blank DVDs.

Regards,

4ls

Just liek Ek said if it isnt formated your DvD program will offer to format.There are lots of differnt DVD bruners out. Your results may very slightly.

To leave no doubts.There is no special tester for unformated DVD's and you should have no problem's even if it was unformated. As soon as you try to burn . Your program will offer to format first.

But if you must test it. Formated DVD's taste saltier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom