Probl;em with Windows XP Reinstall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. tech

In Runtime
Hi there,

My friend had Windows XP Home Edition on his PC. He then tried to install Windows XP Pro after reformating the hard drive. He did do a backup of his files but it stuffed up... He had 80GB+ of files and didn't have another hd to backup to... Pretty stupid :angry:

Now when he boots up the pc, its goes to the Windows XP loading screen but after that it displays a blue screen with white writing.

When he sets the stuffed hard drive as the secondary hard drive, it says it's unaccessable when he clicks on it (E: drive)... Because of this, he can't go in and get his files...

He's got a P4 3.2 GHZ processor.

Any ideas?

You could try using dos to copy the files from the stuffed drive and then send them to a new one. You can also delete them.
(needs boot disk)

Dont use DOS, you wont get everything. Since you have Windows XP, dos is but a program. You wont be able to copy everything, you will get sharing violation errors and all kinds of crap. Get a backup program, like Dantz Retrospect or Backup 2000 and you can duplicate the drive onto another one with a browsable version of your files, directory structure intact. I would try running the repair console off of the Windows XP disk. try doing an over the top repair.

What does the blue screen say?

It says things like:

Have you installed new software or hardware? If so please uninstall it through safe mode or the hard may not be compatiable with another peice of hardware or software.

Or

You haven't installed your software correctly.

Backing up files

The best thing I have found to work with files after and XP crash is called "Knoppix" It is a linux OS that runs completely from a CD.

Best of all you can download it for free or get a ready made CD for under $5.00 bucks.

Get you a USB hard drive and use Knoppix to back up your files then use your XP disk to reformat that partition and and reinstall XP Home.

If the disk you have for XP Pro is an upgrade disk you might not be able to use that because it may tell you that XP is already installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom