Printer Options - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 09:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Default Printer Options

Not sure what category this falls under, but can be moved to the respectful area.

If watched when you print something, go to the printer window and check what's in que. Sometimes the "size" is waaaaaaay more than the original document, why is that?

I printed some call cards for my mom. The original file is 7mb but the size = 50+mb. Is this because I set more than 1 call card per page to print?

Also I've noticed sometimes when I'm printing, it seems to have under pages xx/yy amount, where "xx" is more than "yy" ("yy" being the correct amount of pages in the document).

Old 02-12-2010, 03:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Re: Printer Options

The size is due to it being converted to raw data for the printer to process, the files will have some sort of compression on them but when it comes to printing it is expanded. For example compare the size difference between a Bitmap and JPEG of the same image at the same resolution.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Default Re: Printer Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitestick View Post
The size is due to it being converted to raw data for the printer to process, the files will have some sort of compression on them but when it comes to printing it is expanded. For example compare the size difference between a Bitmap and JPEG of the same image at the same resolution.
Oh ok, thanks . I now understand.