Primary and "ghost virtual" Partitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bham

Beta member
After using Norton Ghost 2003 I tried to startup my computer, but I got a message saying "missing operating system." I went to the Norton support page and it said:
"Examine the information to find the partition number of the Ghost Virtual Partition and the partition number of the drive's primary partition. The primary partition is usually the partition to which you installed Windows.
Type:
Gdisk 1 /del /p:y
In place of letter y, use the partition number of the Ghost Virtual Partition. This command deletes the Ghost Virtual Partition.
Type:
Gdisk 1 /act /p:x
In place of the letter x, use the partition number of drive's primary partition. This command makes the primary partition active.
Remove the floppy disk and CD, and then restart the computer."

I am not a genius (or anything close) when it comes to computers and I was wondering if anyone could help me with with what my "primary partition" number and my "ghost virtual partition" numbers are..Thanks, Brian

And by the way, when I try using Gdisk my computer shows
Disks:1 Partitions:4 Cylinders:9733
Heads:255 Sectors:63 Mbytes:76351.6
Model:Samsung SV8004H

you do not need to worry about Gdisk. ghost was made to be simple so i am assuming you made just a simple mistake. did you create the image of the partition that the operating system was installed on? did you restore the image back to the EXACT same partition? i would guess you did not make an image of the OS which is why when you tried to restore it back it gives you that error

Well I didn't even make an image of the OS, I tried and then it quickly said to restart my computer and then directly after it said "missing operating system." So I tried to look up the norton support and that is where I found the info suggesting Gdisk. norton also suggested to run a program on the CD called "ghreboot.exe" but while in DOS, it doesn't even recognize the disk drives.

Thanks for the help, I just talked to technical support and they said:

The Ghost partition is usually either 7,8Mb or around 15Mb in size. It will be in a `FAT16` format and its name will be `vpsghboot`. This is the partition youwill need to delete. After this, you will want to set your first partition active.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom