Prescott vs. Northwood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Know I've read that Intel 's making a new Socket type for its Prescotts that is supposed to come out by summer's end.

Northbridge said:
Know I've read that Intel 's making a new Socket type for its Prescotts that is supposed to come out by summer's end.

I have also read something about a Pentium 5. Don't know if that's what the prescott is or not... If so then I guess they decided not to call it a P5...

Well it seemed that before the prescott came out there was a lot of rumors going around that it was the P5. Many , I guess thought it was going to be called a P5. Maybe they'll name it a Pentium5 when its socket type is changed.

how do you tell it you got a northwood or prescot. and what are the extreme editions, northwood or perscott.

All P4 specifications have a letter after the clock speed if its an A its a northwood with an 533MHz FSB, if its a C then its a northwood with an 800MHz FSB, and if its an E then its a prescott with an 800MHz FSB(prescott only has one letter designation because its only made with an 800MHz FSB). The current P4 EE is a northwood.

Great, with all these fast paced processor developments you can't ever milk a system for what its worth by upgrading the processors.:( These may be rumors,but I read the prescott will top out at 5.2GHz and will eventually be on a 775 pin socket.After that a new core will come out called Tejas and will still be based on 90nm. Tejas will top out at 9.2GHz and may contain some 64 bit instructions.Finally another core will come called Nehalem it may yet achieve 10GHz+.:D

Northbridge said:
All P4 specifications have a letter after the clock speed if its an A its a northwood with an 533MHz FSB, if its a C then its a northwood with an 800MHz FSB, and if its an E then its a prescott with an 800MHz FSB(prescott only has one letter designation because its only made with an 800MHz FSB). The current P4 EE is a northwood.

I only knew that kind of info for the 133mhz p3. As that is the only p3 I bought. My dual system runs two 1.0Ghz EB chips. Which means they have a rated 133mhz bus. Haven't bothered with the p4's. Probably wont either.. If anything I will go Xeon later on.. I will definitely stick to dual systems, maybe even go to quad later on. SMP is just too impressive.

ChaosBlizzard said:
I only knew that kind of info for the 133mhz p3. As that is the only p3 I bought. My dual system runs two 1.0Ghz EB chips. Which means they have a rated 133mhz bus. Haven't bothered with the p4's. Probably wont either.. If anything I will go Xeon later on.. I will definitely stick to dual systems, maybe even go to quad later on. SMP is just too impressive.

Do they make quad processor ATX boards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom