Pre-build thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeisalsocool

Daemon Poster
For this summer I plan on getting some experience OCing.

Things I'd like to get:
Abit AN8
eVGA 6600GT
3000+ Venice
Corsair XMS 512MB

I'm set on the top 3, just a little lost on the RAM. I've read some reviews on that, and it doesn't look too bad. But I notice on newegg that other brands are going for 130ish for 512MB. My question is, how expensive should I go with RAM. Should I consider PC4000 or not? Would it be compatable with the AN8? I've seen good things on Gskill, and TwinMOS so they are possibilities too.
I know you're going to tell me to go with a DFI motherboard, but when it comes down to it I just like this one better.
Thanks for your input.
-Joe

Why wont you get a DF mobo, their a whole hell of alot better

Corsair XMS is great for the price expisally with it's price drop

Another thing you should consider is a 3200+, they are guartneed to overclock high unlike a 3000+

I dont know what it is about DFI. I think its mostly the expansion of the board that I dont like. Im not ever going to use the second PCI16x slot, or that 4x slot. The abit board has 3 normal pci slots which i will use all of. And I like the 90 degree tilt of the IDE ports on the abit. Dont get me wrong, I have read reviews on all major brands, im not moving toward abit because I know the most about it, it just seems better for me.
I want the 3000 because down the road (5-6 months) I want to upgrade to a 3700 or 4000 san diego. I should see a better increase in speed this way.
Thanks for your input DJ.

But you will get as far as you will overclocking wise with a 3200+ venice as you will with a 4000 san diego :)

DFI are the best PCI-E socket 939 based motherboards you can buy, period. The flexibility you have with them is unbelievable and the number of options in regards to overclocking is limitless. The Genie BIOS will run circles around the Abit BIOS, no questions. I honestly suggest you look into the lanparty nf4 ultra-d if tiy are serious about overclocking.

Another thing you should consider is a 3200+, they are guartneed to overclock high unlike a 3000+
No chip is guranteed to do anything other than work at the stock speed it is advertised at with the stock voltage it was advertised at. Plain and simple, if every 3200+ chip was guranteed to overclock fairly high they would most likely be branded and sold as 3500+ or 3800+ chips.

3000+ is a reputable chip that usually gains just as much of a speed increase as a 3200+ though anyways.

the DFI board is much better, even though you don't need all those stuff

also, the 3200+ seems like a better choice

and try to actually get good ram, not corsair XMS cr4p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom