Ppl with Power Supply questions, come here!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhw200

Fully Optimized
I created this thread to attempt a little tutorial to help all of those millions of people with questions about power supplies.

First thing you need to know about power supplies is that generic brands SUCK. What I mean is that if it comes in a case NOT made by Antec or Thermaltake, it sucks. The best power supplies are made by OCZ, thermaltake, ennermax, and antec.

Wattage isnt the only thing that matters with a power supply. it can put out 500 watts, but the amount of amps that it puts out is uber important. the +12V rail is the most inmportant. for ur typical high end system, u want 20a on the +12V rail. 450 watts should also be enough for most gamers, but a 500 watt power supply wouldnt hurt.

Now there are all sorts power supply calculators out there. i personally dont trust any of them. remember that if u do want to use them, tack at least 50 watts onto the figure they give you.

Above all, remember the basic rule of power supply: u cant have too much, but if u have too little, ull regret it.

Post any questions or feel free to add anything here.

Remeber wattage is determined by WATTS = AMPS * VOLTS so the wattage is dirrectly related to the voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom