Power Up Fails - HELP - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 10-27-2004, 08:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Lightbulb Power Up Fails - HELP

I have a Dell Dimension 4600 (P4 @ 2.4 GHZ) Desktop. Now, I have ben working on my computer for about 1-2 month without ever shutting is down at nights (it was always Locked) therefore the computer was always running and never completely off. Yesterday night I decided that it needed a little shut off once in a while so I shut it down.

This morning I wake up, go to the PC and press the power button and nothing happens, it stays dead as if no power went through it. When I opened the computer up, I noticed that there was a green light that was on the motherboard but if I remove the power cable from the outlet, the light would go off (due to no power). So I assume that the main power works but not the initial power when pressing the power button.

Can anybody suggest me anything on how to fix this???

Help would be greatly appreciated...

Thank You

Old 10-28-2004, 10:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

Have you checked to make sure the power button is tightly connected to the wire going to the mobo?

Jeff Cline
MYTHLOGIC Corporation
Custom. Gaming. Computers.
<a href=\"http://www.mythlogic.com\">http://www.mythlogic.com</a>
Old 10-28-2004, 11:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Yes all that was checked and verified. Anyways, DELL will be coming here next week

Old 10-29-2004, 04:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Send a message via AIM to Ropponmatsu

One of the reasons why I always build my own. Things tend to go wrong less often...
Old 10-29-2004, 06:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

that and companies like dell, compaq, peoplePC, HP, you name it...all suck and ramdon crap like that happens and oooh look you gotta call em out and dish out more money to them to troubleshoot something you otherwise coulda done by yourself had it been home built.

Like you said though. That green light is an indicator that power is getting to your motherboard and it's waiting for that power button to send the signal to turn it on. Hmmm let us know what dell says then
Closed Thread