power supply question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Almanac

Beta member
Ok so i recently bought a new case for the computer that i am building. i put in the motherboard/prcoessor (AMD) and all that correctly. when i tried to turn on the computer, it was getting no power. i first assumed that i got a bad power supply and it was DOA. but then i noticed that there was a sticker on the power supply that said " supports p4". could it be because im using an AMD motherboard it isant working properly? iv never heard of that but i thought i would ask anyway

Thanks

Yeah, that would be my best guess. If something says on it what it is compatible with it, then that. I'd say that your board gets power for like one miniscule bit of a second, then switches off, cause it knows that it ain't working with a p4. So if all other suggestions posted fail. Then that is probably what is wrong and you'll need a new psu.

Hmm. Yeah i suppose that must be the problem. well i think im just gunna upgrade to a 420w now anyway if that is the case.

the power supply should work make sure you have everything connected properly

nah the P4 doesn't necessarily mean the Pentium 4 processor...it means that there's a little 4pin squared connector that you gotta plug into your motherboard that powers your CPU. Believe that is called your P4 Connector. There are two cables that are required for motherboard power. The big thickass 20pin cable and a smaller 4pin cable like I said, except the 4pins isn't in a straight line like your normal power cable...it's 2 on top and 2 on bottom to form a nice square....see if your motherboard has that connector anywhere...usually right around the processor for obvious reasons.

What kind of PSU and Motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom