Power Supply Problems???/

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt1biz

Beta member
I'm having problems putting together my new setup and wondering if any of you could suggest where the problem lies.

I have a new A-Bit KT7A m'borad, 256mb RAM, and an Athlon XP 1800 processer with heatsink and fan. I also have an old graphics card and HDD that I know are working correctly.

At the moment I've added the m'board to the case and connected up the memory, processer, heatsink and fan. I've added my old graphics card to a PCI slot and my old HDD. To start with I connceted this all up with the new 350w power supply which when turned on only ran for about 10 seconds before cutting out. To eliminate the possability that the power supply may be defective I tried my old 230w power supply and this is fine, it runs continuously, however when I plugged this into the monitor - nothing at all.

Just wondering if you have any suggestions as to where the problem lies? Is the 230w power suply not powerful enough just to boot up CMOS? I'm wondering if I should go today and but a new 350w power supply to see if
this is the cause though I'd value your opinion first.

well sense your using an AGP slot mobo did you disable or change your bios to PCI card ? Actually youd be better off to borow or by a Nvidia 64 mb VC and get it running the way the board was intended ."Then if you must" add in the PCI card then through the proper steps. You can pick up a little tester at CompUsa or Best buy to test your PS

With the 230w PSU power is going through the board, i.e. the fans are spinning, but I'm not getting anything else, nothing on the monitor at all and the HDD isn't spinning.

Might this be because there's not enough power in the 230w to run all of this?

The 350w just ran for like 10 seconds before cutting out completely, I'm guessing this is faulty, but because I can't get the 230w to work properly I'm not 100% sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom