Power supply, enough or not even close?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cwconrad

Beta member
Here is my situation. I ordered a new computer online as a barebones. Here is what it is:

939 socket nForce4 motherbored
AMD64 3800+ processor
2gig DDR 3200 400mhz ram
Gforce 6200 120mb ddr PCI express card

Now that you know that, here is my question.

The case it came with has a 350 watt power supply. I was told by a friend that 350 watts would not be enough to run that machine. If this is the case, why was it offered as an option?

Can anyone confirm that this is or is not a sufficient amount of power?

Thanks for your help.

Rule of thumb about power is u can never have too much, but its easy to have too little.

350 watts is not enough power. Keep in mind that PSUs that come with cases are generally crap. you need at least a 400, preferably 450 or 500 watts for that system. I suggest this

the OCZ Thermaltake PurePower TWV500W

Yeah a generic 350 watt power supply wont cut it but it will work most likely

Try getting somethigng like a thermaltake td-420AD, cheap and good :)

Yeah. I agree with DJ-Chris. The T-420 is a good supply and is dead cheap on newegg these days. Atleast it was last time I checked.

From ur specs I am assuming this is not a gaming machine. Lots of RAM, Good processor, but a bad video card (on relative terms of course)... Doing research?..

if u want to game, u should upgrade to a 6600 GT. that 6200 is designed for mainstream users, not gamers.

Thanks for the information guys =)...on a side note, the only game I play is WoW. Which im sure the 6200 will run just fine hehe...the computer is more for multi tasking graphic stuff...(hobbie of mine)

Either way, more power is always good. You can't hurt by having too much power, but you can hurt things if you don't have enough.

Also, if you use a card that requires its own power connection, that will need a PSU that has a bit of overhead. If the PSU is penny-pinching for watts, yer graphics card will suffer.

I had a generic 450 watt PSU that went out after i added another HDD to my system (this is before my graphics card with its own power plug) I replaces it with a 410 watt thermaltake PSU and it works great with my config (see below) and it even has a bigger fan and a blue light! The quality of your power supply really does make a difference, not just the watts. but more is always good, next time around i think i'll go with a 5 or 600 =O). WOW can get pretty intense i have all my settings maxed on WOW and it plays great but I still get some lag (proc lag not network lag) in big cities like Ironforge.

though it doesnt matter how many watts it puts out. u have to check the rail ratings. thats what determines a quality supply. for ex. my ultra has 34a on the +12V rail.

Cwconrad said:
Here is my situation. I ordered a new computer online as a barebones. Here is what it is:

939 socket nForce4 motherbored
AMD64 3800+ processor
2gig DDR 3200 400mhz ram
Gforce 6200 120mb ddr PCI express card

Now that you know that, here is my question.

The case it came with has a 350 watt power supply. I was told by a friend that 350 watts would not be enough to run that machine. If this is the case, why was it offered as an option?

Can anyone confirm that this is or is not a sufficient amount of power?

Thanks for your help.

lol, there's no difference between 1 gig and 2 gig, infact, 4 dimms will slow you down (if that's what he got)

there's no difference between the 3200 and 3800 either

you coulda gotten yourself a good gfx card instead of that pos

good luck playing future games

and for the power supply, ocz and thermaltake are good, and is so antec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom