Power Supply is dying, need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wyluli

Baseband Member
I think the power supply is going out in my system. It is making strange buzzing noises and sounds rather ill.
I was wondering if it matters what power supply I purchase as far as how it plugs in to the motherboard? My current power supply includes this 4 plug square connector that plugs directly into the motherboard (ATX-+12V connector for CPU Core voltage). Do I need a specific power supply in order to get this special plug?? Do all power supplies come with the same wiring setup?

Thanks!

MOTHERBOARD - Gigabyte P4 Titan 667 8PE667 Ultra

All ATX power supply's come with that plug.

If it's not the fan, chuck the PS far far away or it could take your computer with it.

Don't go with a cheap brand because you will only hate yourself later. If your PSU is messing up ... why are you still posting on the forums?:D

I would have already shut that baby down and taken it out before it fried my whole system.

Get an Antec Truepower or Thermaltake power supply. They should never let you down, and the Truepower means you have the wattage specified (550 in my case) all of the time. It doesn't fluxuate like the cheaper replacements. Don't sell yourself short on a PSU. It is as crucial as RAM when you are into a smooth running PC.

The heavier the power supply, the better, that's a general rule that you should follow when picking out a PSU. I highly doubt your motherboard needs any sort of special PSU, just pick up a standard PSU, preferably at least 400 watts and 18 amps on the 12v rail.

TheRanger, maybe he is on tf from a different pc.

Normaly a psu doesnt make too much noise, even if you dont have one that is silent or quieter than normal. I would look for something my Antec. They make quality psu. Dont worry about spending 50-100 on a psu, its an improtant part of your pc. I have never had any problems with my antecs I have had through the years.

Thanks for the info guys. I thought maybe all PSU came with the same connectors, but wasn't positive. What do you think about this power supply?

POWMAX Demon 580W Power Supply, Model "PSDE580" -RETAIL

Model# PSDE580
Item # N82E16817163018

Specifications:
Type: ATX
Maximum Power: 580W
PFC: No
Efficiency: 70% Min. at full load
Material: All metal construction
Noise Level: Maximum of 37db at 100% system loading
Over Voltage Protection: On all outputs
Input Voltage: 115/ 230