Power Supply Advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daki

Beta member
Hey all, I'm new posting here, but read a few threads and you are the people who can help me =D. I build my own computer a while back and have recently been adding onto it, but lately I am having a problem which I am pretty sure is the power supply. The problem I am experiencing is a random cutting out of all power in my computer, which forces it to reboot. I have made a temporary workaround in unplugging some power using devices, but I know it is time to get an upgrade in the power supply, however I am not really sure what size to get, or if my current size is good, and it is just crapping out on me. Listed below are my system specs, and hopefully you all can help me out.

Current System:
P4 2.4 Ghz
3 Hard drives (One 60 Gig Seagate and two 250 Gig Western Digitals)
512 Ram
DVD+-RW Drive
DVD Rom Drive
Radeon 9200 se Video Card
Creative Audio PCI Sound Card
Generic Motherboard
PCI IDE Card

Currently all of that is running off of a 400W power supply that is a little less than 2 years old. This computer has been in use heavily for the full 2 years.

Once again, any help you all can offer will really be appreciated, and I look forward to your responses.

dang you got alot of stuff running.....first off it does start up with no problem but then shuts down?......if you wait a lil while then turn it back on does it work?........if so it might be an over heating problem....most power supplies have a heat switch where if it reaches dangerous levels of heat they shut down......

if not i recomend upgrading the PS
here is a good one i found that looks like it will suit your needs

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=17-153-006&DEPA=0

it's got some good ratings........hope this helped if not...ask more:cool:

I don't think its an overheating problem, but I really think I need a new powersupply and fans anyway. It seems to run pretty well for long periods of time, but then shut down after a few minutes during other times. I took a look at the PS, and it looks pretty good. Thanks for the advice!

That PS may be your problem if its a cheap unit to begin with .
Make sure all your power connections , ribbon cables are firmly in place .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom