Power Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lord AnthraX said:
Also avoid flashy PSU's....they tent..to..erm...explode....

Also the heavier the better.

Yeah, good PSUs usually don't need flashy LEds to attract customers. However, some good PSUs do have mirror finishes and the like such as the OCZ POwerstream/GamerStream series.

A lot of it has to do with marketing. Many beleive "MORE IS BETTER".

Video cards are the biggest draw of power on a comp. I use 2 XFX 7600GS cards in SLI. They draw 62 Watts.

A single X1800XT can draw over 220 watts. If you overvolt or OC it it draws even more.

Effeciency is another factor, some PS are more effecient so less of the power is wasted through heat.

For a standard computer with 1 HDD and a X800 videocard and a single core cpu a 250watt PS is fine. (as long as the specs are true)

On the computer I am using now I use a $19 500watt Logisys PS (pure baloney on the specs) but because its just a basic comp its fine.

On my hotrod comp (3 HDDs in Raid0, OC cpu, H20, 2 7600GS in SLI and 5 fans and lights too I use a Silverstone Strider 400 watt PS. It is a excellent PS and has served me well.(got it on sale for $45)

My new advice: Don't go with Hiper.

3 days into using their 580w PSU, *poof*, it dies. Replaced it with a 600w Enermax and has been going stable for about a week. Hopefully it shall STAY stable, but you never know with these things....

Diabetic said:
My new advice: Don't go with Hiper.

3 days into using their 580w PSU, *poof*, it dies. Replaced it with a 600w Enermax and has been going stable for about a week. Hopefully it shall STAY stable, but you never know with these things....
One bad PSU and the total company should not be used?
I think that is a bit over the top mate :)

I will have to ask my friend for more details about it but i recall he said his Seasonic died about a hour into use.
His new Seasonic has been going fine for about 6month now i think.

I maintain you can't go past a good Antec 430/480W TruePower, for just about anything in your system up to (but not including 2 Vid Cards in SLI).

But I am biased cause I have used it for nearly a year now with absolutely no probs.

A high powered psu givees you system stability if u overclock ur cpu and video card. and you do get what you pay for when it comes to power supplies. if u get a powersupply thats cheap in price then u also get a powersupply thats cheap in quality.

but i also have one question. are ultra power supplies any good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom