Are Power Supplies the same size?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbernie41

In Runtime
I have an emachine and saw a Thermaltake Tsunami case on sale and decided to buy it. Anyways, I have been trying to transfer the emachine to my new case and I went to put the power supply in the tsunami and... the place for it to go it TOO big. So I was just wondering if all power supplies were roughly the same size... I thought they all were but now seeing this im not so sure. Mine comes in at just under 6 inches on its longest side.

Also, for down the road... my new Power LED has 3 wires whereas on the emachine the powerLED had 2 wires. According to my mobo, the Power LED is only supposed to go on two pins. I do have an extra pin however, so... im pretty sure it does matter but not 100% positive... does it matter which pins the LED wires go on? Or not?

I hope you understood that and thank you.

It is a simple explanation, properitary computer companies use different psu's and such than standards. eMachines definitely doesnt use ATX in your example.

You could get a 20-pin ATX PSU for the case. Make sure your motherboard is ATX, and as far as the pins go, one should be to power on, one should be for the LED light, I believe.

Never try to switch cases with properitary comp companies, they mod crap to make you angry!

Damn! So I guess now I might have to get a new damn PS. I kinda thought that companies would make their things different so you cant switch things easily but my friend with the exact same model switched his over to another case with hardly and problem. Also, I need to get the front bezel off of my eMachine DVD/CR-rw drive. That thing will not come off and I dont know why!

Power supplies of custom PCs are all the same size. However, the companies such as Dell and Compaq shape the PSU to fit their case or sometimes even make it part of the case, ensuring that you can't use any other PSU in that system, nor can you use one of their PSUs in a custom system.

damn! I really had no purpose for buying this case except for looks and boredom and now its becoming such a hastle! Now if I want to use this I will need a new power supply and everything. Hmmmm... what to do what to do. Im tempted to just put everything back in the emachine case and take back the Tsunami case:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom