Of Power Supplies and Cases.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Merlin

Daemon Poster
OK, yes.....I AM BROKE, I have NO money for computer upgrades for atleast 5 weeks:p But I can still dream, desire and plan them;)

Now, I have lately been perturbed by my computer restarting randomly for the strangest reasons:rolleyes: Its never done it under heavy load, say while playing a game, but it will do it while fiddling with apps. I know the main reasons for such problems, viruses, spyware, overheating and an instable power supply.......

No viruses, no spyware and not overheating, but I do have a cheapo Turbolink 420watt PSU that came with this Aspire case. I think that is my prob:confused:

So I wanna either A( Upgrade the case with a built in PSU of quality(personally not fond of the cheap plastic feel of the front panel) and atleast 500 watts or B( Upgrade just the PSU:confused:

I cruised Newegg and they have Aspire cases that looking exactly like mine, but with 500 watt PSU and digital readouts on the front........ Thats kinda impractical though buying the same damn case..........Hehehehe

I looked at Thermaltake's offering, but I think the front panel is kinda gaudy and they only go up to 420 watts........

So on the PSU side there are plenty of options......... I personally like the Antec 480watt "True Blue"...... But wanna know if it is reliable?

I'm also looking at these 550 watters http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=property&DEPA=1

And this 600 watter http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-103-454&depa=1

Which do you think is best for my current system, and then probably Audigy 2 ZS, 74gb 10k Raptor and either a X800 XT or now with a bigger PSU a 6800 Ultra?:confused: Right now the CPU and mobo will stay the same till I see whether Intel has anything for AMD in the future, because either way I need to swap the CPU and Mobo so both are possibilties:confused:

And yeah I know BTX is around, but that may not become and standard(Intel has failed often trying to change the form factors, and if I go AMD in the future, they might stick to ATX to give Intel the finger) and even if it does ATX will still be around till 2006 supposedly:confused:

Whew, ok I'm done now:)

i never knew wat those meant... wat is ATX and BTX stand for, or do, or refering to on the mobo?

The Merlin said:
So on the PSU side there are plenty of options......... I personally like the Antec 480watt "True Blue"...... But wanna know if it is reliable?

Both Antec & Enermax are good; although my personal preference is to go w/ Antec. There is no "reliability" issue w/ these units... they've built up a reputation for being of the highest quality.

Iif you're tight on money, why don't you just upgrade/replace the PSU and save the rest of the money you got for a new system in the future?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom