power question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobmitsuo

Baseband Member
ok, i have a 300 power source curently and am completely aware of the fact that my computer is a ticking time bomb with my new 6800gt and all. my question is what should i be looking for as far as make modle and specs if i want it to support that card as well as a few extra hdd's (prob end up with 2 or three all together). i currently have one running cause i didnt feel it was safe having more in there with my limited power. i have a gig of ddr corsair vs ram and running a standard p4 3GHz on a asus p4pe-x mobo. also i plan on putting a new sound card in there cause the integrated suxors. so, with that in mind what should i be looking for cause i know close to nothing bout power sources?

you probably want upwards of 500w PSU but the key thing to look at is the rails, +12v, +5v, and the +3.3v

The +12v in particular I'd say you'd want ATLEAST 20a on it. Generally if the +12v is 20a or more then the other two rails will be plenty hitting 35-40a on either.

The ultra 500w X-Connect PSU is awesome and has 35a on the +12v rail, plus it's nice looking, and whatever cables you don't need, you don't have to plug them in, hence the name X-connect

But it costs $100, not sure if you want to pay that much. There are some other cheaper brands with decent rails like Rosewill PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom