Power Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronado

Solid State Member
My computer just randomly turned off one day and since then has not turned back on. I thought it may have been a faulty power supply, but it wasn't because none of the others would turn the computer on, except for one which started smoking after about five seconds of being on. I now know it is either the motherboard, or the processor and since I do not have another 939 socket motherboard to test the CPU on I am sending away the motherboard to have it serviced. What I'm really looking for here is assurance that it probably is the motherboard and not the CPU.

The motherboard is a Gigabyte, GA-K8NSNXP-939 and the processor is an AMD FX-53. How would the CPU go bad anyway if it wasn't overclocked or overheating to begin with? What do you think the problem is?

It was an Antec 480W originally, then I tried with a 450W, some crummy brand thinking it may have been the power suplly that was bad and that's when the PSU started to smoke. I then tried with a 600W and nothing happened this time. All of the power supplies work too.

It totally sounds like the mobo. Good call on sending it away. It really doesnt seem like the CPU to me.

I guess the motherboard might be shorting the PSU out, and thats why you have burnt the PSU(s).

When you go to install the new mobo, make sure that the mobo isnt grounding on anything.

Ah, that's a load off my back because this computer has been giving me some hard times. At first the computer won't turn on until you hit the power button like 10 times. got a new power supply after that. No problems for like six months, then...death. Trying to take out the motherboard and one of the screw heads is destroyed and have to literally drill through the screw to get it out. I hope Gigabyte isn't like, "You destroyed it because there's a larger hole around the screw hole from where you drilled it." If they are, I'll buy a new one and be pretty upset, but oh well.

Also, all my boxes that the parts came in were thrown out when I was away and AMD doesn't take back processors without the box. I just hope this string of bad luck finally ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom