Power off button

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stupid

In Runtime
Today I had an argument with someone about the how to properly turn your computer off, because when i was told to do it i just pushed the power button and computer did all the usual stuff(log off, save settings and then it turned off). The person who told me to do it said that it wasn't the "proper" way to do it. He said that you have to go with the manual way( through START-> TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER-> YES). I started agruing that its the same thing, but i don't know how to prove it. Can someone please give me a link to a legit site that proves my point(because i can't find one).

It looks like you are stupid as said in your name. You power off your computer from start--> shut down--> yes. If you press the power button you will just damage your hard drives, and other parts of your pc.

ok it depends, if your power button needs to be held down for 10 seconds to turn off, then its bad and you're stupid for not just clicking 3 times.... if all you have to do is press it like a normal button for less that 1 second, then you're still stupid.... either way.... i would still click START, turn off computer... or like me, you can just click the windows button between "ctrl" and "alt" click the up arrow once, and then press enter twice.....

if u press the power off button once it goes through the same sequence as START->TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER->YES (this i know as a fact) so pavlyk dont talk if u dont know what are u takling about.

The thing is that some crappy mobos dont have this feature and if u press the power button it powers it off instatly and i know that its bad.

depends on the OS and power management of the motherboard, but the answer your looking for with winblows is in the operators manual

Depends on the OS and Power Management.

On both my computer, if I press the POWER BUTTON for 10 seconds, it will shut down. And shut down properly.

If you hold down the power-button for 10 seconds (or whatever) you're not doing anything OS related. That's all BIOS and hardware controlled.

As a rule, you should never turn off your computer by the power button, which is essentially just a main system switch for the power. It doesn't do anything else.

Now some POS Compaq and Dell machines have an integrated power-button system that does fancy crap when you press it...but that's all bull to begin with.

Take care of your machine, do the START->Shutdown->Okay procedure, and spare yourself the hell of having your tormented hardware crap out on you quick because you're abusing it. (Not to mention save US from having to help you rebuild your system once you've destroyed it.)

If it is XP, pressing the power botton shuts the PC down properly. At least it does on mine. This is for accidental pushing of the button. I still go start>turnoff computer>shut down.

The Rage is correct; XP should shut down properly when you press the power button, and so does 2000 and I think NT 4.0
Windows ME, 98 and below just 'turn off' without shutting down; these are the OS's that you should always shut down from start, shut down

it also depends on the motherboard too, sometimes the motherboard doesn't support software shut downs when you press the power button, so in this case you shouldn't use the button either

i have three XP machines and on all of them, holding down the power button does not do a proper shutdown, it goes power button 10 secs > poof hard shutdown. i always shutdown going through the start > turn off/shutdown method.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom