Power and Cooling needs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nubius

Golden Master
Currently I have an AMD Athlon XP 2400+ on an MSI KT6V motherboard with VIA Chipset and it runs at about 57C just normally and this is with a small table fan blowing in the side of it. The other day when I first checked temps it was like 62C idle and only like 64C after playing some games. Most places I've read people have their computers sitting steadily at 40C at idle although I just read somewhere else that its not uncommon for the amd athlons to be sitting in the 55-60C range. It always remains about 26C in my room and the ambient temp in the case is around 35C. Does this seem odd to anyone? I have no case fans or anything like that. One open side at the moment but I'm in the market for a new case and was wondering if the fans in that will provide better heat control. Now as far as power needs, I was gonna get this case that came with a 420w power supply and 4 fans in it. I need to power 2 HD's, 2 CD-ROMS, 1 connector for my graphics card, plus I'm not sure if the 4 fans require one connector for all 4 or 4 connectors? I contacted thermaltake support and they suggested a 560w power supply. Anyone have any idea about the temps in my computer and how big of a power supply I should get for a total of atleast 5 connectors just for MY peripherals and thats not counting the fans I know I'll have to hook up. Sorry for such a long request but I'd greatly appreciate any info. =)

Yes a large Aluminium case with lots of 80mm fans will improve cooling, but is very loud. Try and get a large Al case with 120mm fans, provides good cooling but isn't as loud.

My AMD XP2500+ Barton has dropped from 55C+ to <45C now that I have installed a Coolermaster Jet-7 HSF.

noise isn't too much of an issue with me especially since I have a table fan blowing in the side =P But its good to know that you were also in the 55C range until you upgraded your fan and whatnot. I've read a few reviews on those Coolermaster jet style fans, seems rather interesting. Might have to look into it myself, but you gain a 10C drop in temperature just from changing out the CPU Fan and heatsink huh? Hmmmm very interesting indeed. Thankyou for your info. =)

Anyone able to suggest a power supply for 2 HD's, 2 CD-ROMs, graphics card and possibly another fan, I probably need like 7 or 8 power connectors in total =/

as far as the temp goes. I once accidently knocked my computer really hard, well actually my kids helped, and the temp started rising the next time I used it. I pollished the bottem of the heatsink and reset it with Arctic silver I think and that took care of my issue. I guess I shifted it too much when the computer got hit.

The more air between the heatsink and the chip the less effective the cooling is.

oh thanks sithspawn that link was awesome and gave me a bunch more information on what I should look for in a PSU. Thanks a bunch =)

according to that site you gave me sithspawn. With My Motherboard, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 2HD's, A CD-RW, DVD-ROM, VGA Card, one pci network card, one pci sound card and 256mb of ram, 768mb after upgrade and 2 fans, 7 after upgrade my calculations were as followed:

6.9 amps - +3.3v
11.4 (19.4 after 512mb ram upgrade) amps - +5v
14.065625 (15.065625 after 7 fans total: 2 PSU, 4 case, 1 CPU) amps - +12

By the formula to figure out watts: Power = Current * Voltage
I figured I had

22.77 Power - +3.3v
57(97) power - +5v
168.7875(180.7875) - +12v

Everything in parenthesis is of course refering to everything in parenthesis above that. Those 3 numbers equaled to 300.5575 when I totalled the larger number (22.77 + 97 + 180 = 300.5575).

So basically a 350w PSU with enough amperage coverage could cover all my needs and that guy was pitching 560w!?! I figured that would be bullshit. So it seems the W0009RUC 420W power supply from thermaltake will be sufficient eh?

Just checked out that model and it looks like it would be more than enough for u. its always good to get a bigger one than you need cause then theres room for upgrades.

anyway good luck with it and glad i could help :)

a 400 or 420watt would be very sufficient just make sure its from a company like antec. You could have like a million 80mm fans if you wanted they only use like .15amps each. It would sould like a jet turbine engine is roaring in your computer case however. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom