Is it possible to use a separate psu to run a vid card??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jtumble2

In Runtime
Before I go and spend $90 on a psu from newegg, I was wondering if it's possible to use my old psu from my last computer to power just the vid card. I'll be getting an MSI 9600GT that needs 26A to run. the power supply in my computer right now runs 19A max, but I ran a less overclocked BFG 9600GT fine for a week before I took the card out, not because there were problems but because I thought the psu might fry. My old psu says 13A but it used to power a 3.0ghz single core intel w/ hyperthreading.

Could I run this old psu to power just the vid card or are there potential problems there? I know the amp thing sounds bad but if it were separate and were just running the vid card, would it be worth it to save the $90?

Thanks for the input

I might need this moved.. think I posted it in the wrong place. sorry.

you will have to connect a couple pins on the psu 20-24 pin to make it run with out a power on switch if I'm not mistaken, although i do not know which ones.

Can't you just plug the vid card in with the provided 6 pin PCIe to dual 4 pin molex connectors on the 12V Rail?

Even though the main power connector wouldnt be used, the 12v rail would work fine, wouldnt it? thats what i was using to power the last vid card i had in my computer.

thanks

you will have to connect a couple pins on the psu 20-24 pin to make it run with out a power on switch if I'm not mistaken, although i do not know which ones.

The green wire, and one of the ground wires (black). Jumper them together w/ a paperclip or something and you're good.

Can't you just plug the vid card in with the provided 6 pin PCIe to dual 4 pin molex connectors on the 12V Rail?

Even though the main power connector wouldnt be used, the 12v rail would work fine, wouldnt it? thats what i was using to power the last vid card i had in my computer.

thanks

Just get a good psu, its one of the most critical components in your computer.

A $100 psu can last many years and through several system builds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom