Possible PSU Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyboychuckles

In Runtime
My old rig started acting real strange and I started replacing things since I couldnÂ’t figure out what the heck was making it lock up at random times. I ended up getting parts piecemeal (PSU, new HDs, new mem) and it was still acting up so I said hell with it IÂ’ll upgrade the mobo and processor. It took a couple of weeks to learn about heat and airflow so IÂ’ve continued to upgrade my case and add fans and other things after reading all the informative posts here. Nonetheless I have a crappy 430w EZ media PSU I got for cheap and IÂ’ve been reading that the 12v rail needs a good supply of amps, well this has 14amp? I don't think that is good after reading some posts here, but it has been working for a couple of months. Now, my latest addition is a SB audigy 2 Value so I could get the Logitech 5300e speakers. I of course powered down and removed my old audigy gamer, installed the new card in a different slot since it is shorter and moved my Vantec Spectrum fan card over a slot for better airflow. All is well until I notice a couple of days later that my Vantec is not working so I curse and remove it and start reading posts and researching new fans and controllers. Now today I decide to test the Vantec so I hook it up to a different plug and power on and it works so I am happy. Windows boots up and I shut down again to put the fan card in the slot, power up 2nd time and its not working again :mad: But this time windows keeps freezing during booting and my other fans make vibrating noises when the Vantec is locked up(P.S. the Vantec card LEDS are still lit, just the fans donÂ’t turn). So once again Vantec is out and everything is fine for now, I hope.

Could it be the fan is screwing with my system? My PSU is crappy? Or my PSU is crappy and I donÂ’t have enough plugs so everything is chained together and that is causing problems?

I just need some insight in PSU's i have been researching and am thinking and OCZ 520w PSU either the one with the 1x120mm fan: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104155
or the one with 2 fans: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104152

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom