Possible prob with Netgear Ethernet - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 04-12-2004, 07:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Possible prob with Netgear Ethernet

Hello guys, and thanks in advance for any advice or help given. I have 3 comps, all running WinXP Home Edition that are connected to a Netgear EN 104tp Ethernet Hub with a Motorola SB4220 Surfboard cable modem. I don't think it's properly setup because the 3 computers dont all see each other. When looking at workgroup computers, Comp 1 sees Comp 3 but not 2, Comp 2 sees 1 but not 3, and Comp 3 sees both 1 and 2. Since no data is usually shared between the computers it's not a big deal that they don't see each other. My main problem is uploading. I can download just fine... all day long if I want to without trouble. But whenever I send someone a file between 1-10 minutes later the send stops, the internet is out on all computers, and I have to unplug and replug in the modem to get the net back. I send at a regular speed for my connection, about 30k/s but no matter what the connection always dies when I send someone a file. The lights on the front of the modem don't change much when the connection dies; Power, Recieve, Send, and Online all stay solid green like it does when it's working, and the Activity button shuts off (since there's no more activity) I don't know if this is related to the problem, but whenever I do send data between the 3 computers it sends PHENOMENALLY quick. It will send at 25-30k like normal for a minute or two, but when the internet connection dies it bumps up to literally almost a meg a second, usually between 700-990 k/s I included a pic for reference... I only blacked out the names and filenames included.

All 3 computers have the latest XP updates. I've sent files with mIRC, AIM, and a few others and I lose the net within minutes of starting a send no matter what I use. It always comes back no problem when I replug it in, but I shouldn't have to send people files in 10 minute incriments. Can anyone offer a solution???
Attached Images
File Type: gif moto_bile.gif (29.2 KB, 22 views)

Old 04-12-2004, 07:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Interesting......a hub you say? are you sure it's not a router?

Old 04-12-2004, 08:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default nope

Nope, definately a hub, lookin at it now
Old 04-12-2004, 08:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

You will want to get at least a switch.
Thou shalt not follow the NULL pointer, for at its end lay madness and chaos.

-Shroud, CCNA, MCP

Old 04-12-2004, 08:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

a switch? I'm pretty decent with computers, but I know nothing about hubs/networks/routers
Closed Thread