Possible graphics card issues on first power up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdiamo

Beta member
Heres what I got in the system I built last night

Abit AN8 Mobo
athlon 64 3000
antec 330 watt trupower power source
120gig Western hardrive
1gig corsair 184pin pc400 3200 RAM
Albatron 6600GT geforce graphics card

once all was said and done and the power button was pushed, everything in the computer seemed to be running fine. The motherboard has an onboard feature that tells you if there is a problem, but indicated that power up went fine and that BIOS should have been kicking in, but nothing would engage on the monitor. its an old monitor, so first we tried getting an analog-DVI adaptor thinking the graphics card would by default recognize only DVI but that didnt do anything. is it possible that the graphics card is not getting enough power??

that COULD be a problem

but using a 20pin powersupply on a 24pin mobo is never a good idea, even if it works

if you want a cheap (but good) solution, go to newegg and search for :
OCZ modstream 450W
FOrtron bluestorm 500W

those are one of the best 24pin supplies that are cheap

thanks for the replies. we figured that the different pin configurations were ok becuase the Mobo manual says it can use either, but we were thinking it was possibly the different pins and so my brother was going to borrow an adapter from a friend, but if that doesnt work then i'll have to get a new power supply.

i sure hope my graphics card isnt busted, its fresh outa the box and i dont wanna wait another 8 days for return and new shipment. i cant test it on a diff comp either cuz its pci express

Adapters are not really a bad problem, you guys are overkill on the power, the worst thing I could see happening is wire's heating up and melting

Albarton are one of the cheaper makers of graphics card's, I would bet my money it's dead

Unplug power to everything but the motherboard and the video card if it takes power and try to boot it up. If it works its a power issue. If it doesnt, then its something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom