Portable HDD won't except more then 4.3gb

Status
Not open for further replies.

overlord20

Fully Optimized
I have a My Passport 2.5" 250gb portable hdd. I was trying to back my computer up on it so that I could re assuringly install windows 7 and also trying to transport files around 6gb. When I drag and drop the file from the desktop of my laptop to the hdd it says the hdd doesn't have enough space. THERE IS 225GB FREE! Also I can not mirror my internal on to it for a reason being that is not ntfs but fat32? Could this be the probelm. Would I eliminate these issues if I reformatted the portable to a different type? Thanks in advanced guys.

You can put more than 4gb of "data" on a FAT32 partition, however individual files cannot exceed the 4gb barrier like you experienced. This is simply an architectural limitation of FAT32 in general.

As stated above, format to NTFS and you'll be good.

I'm wondering if they will allow exFAT to be installed on external HDDs, instead of just flash drives and memory cards.

I mean, c'mon. The file size limit is quite literally 17,179,869,184gb. Or 16 exbibytes.

I'm wondering if they will allow exFAT to be installed on external HDDs, instead of just flash drives and memory cards.

I mean, c'mon. The file size limit is quite literally 17,179,869,184gb. Or 16 exbibytes.

Give it till 2010 and we'll crush that number. :p

Nope. You would have some issues if you use this drive with Mac's but besides that you are only gaining by going to ntfs.

Of course if you do not have backups of what is currently on your hard drive before you format you will loose your data but that should go without saying.

Well.. okay don't need that so I will reformat and then back up :D thanks guys.

ALSO

Is it better for internal HDDs to be Fat32 or NTFS?

Ntsf is the way to go for all drives unless you need win95/98 compatibility but who needs that.

Well there you go mac problem solved.

Unfortunately my mac skills are very limited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom