Poor performance with new cpu + mobo - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 04-07-2004, 09:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Poor performance with new cpu + mobo

I finally managed to install my new D867PERL mobo and P4 3.0GHz HT cpu and get it to start up normally and reformat hardisk etc. I reinstalled all my drivers correctly.

Problem is that when i run the game i play alot ( Dark Age of Camelot ) this setup performs ALOT worse than my old 1.4ghz amd processor. My old setup had 7xx MB of SDRAM, the only difference with my new setup is that i have 256 DDR SDRAM 400 instead of the old SDRAM because the new mobo doesn't support that kidn of ram.

It seems to have problems loading new zones and graphix/skins/other players etc, everything new. When it has had some time to load it, it runs very smoothly so can't be my video card.

To me it seems obvious there's some BIOS setting or other simple thing i should have set differently that i'm simply not aware of.

Could the difference in RAM be THAT much of a difference so it actually runs worse than a 2 yearold system with half the power? Also since this is a dual channel ram mobo, will getting another 256MB DDR ram chip increase performance x4 isntead of x2? Should i just take back the 256 chip and change it for a 512 right away?

Thanks in advance for any help here. I'm getting a bit frustrated after 6+ hrs of reinstalling formatting etc

Old 04-07-2004, 09:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Well thing with games is that each one is different in what it requires to run. Some games require pure CPU such as Counter-strike, others require more so RAM/GPU such as max payne.

The loading issue you described is definately the RAM. 256 is very low for gaming. 512 is even minimal these days for games, but is definately fine for most. I would definately say though that the 256mb is why your system takes forever to load things.

Old 04-07-2004, 09:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Yea, what Zipp said. Get the 512Mb stick.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

id recoment gettin more than that tbh. atm i have 1 stick of 512ddr400 and its runnin at its limit, i usually leave norton systemworks (well the stuff it leaves on like internet security) and edonkey and im runnin at bou 500 used get 1024 itsll help alot
AMD x2 5000+ black edition at 3.3GHZ zalman cnps 9700-NT
Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 motherboard
3072mb: OCZ ddr800 gold
2x 7800GTX in SLI for 20" viewsonic
OCZ 600watt power supply
www.angelic-accessories.co.uk - plug for my gfs site
Closed Thread