plugging in headset...hate the reach around... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 09-06-2006, 07:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Unhappy plugging in headset...hate the reach around...

alright, no dirty 'reach-around' jokes

i just bought a headset/mic for my wow guild's vent server. the headset has a mic and a headphone input and my computer only has a headphone input on the front of the case. if i ever want to use the headset,i have to pull the computer out of the desk, unplug the speaker wire and plug in the headset headphone wire.

i had hoped that the two connections from the headset would allow me to leave the mic plugged in on the back and reach the headphone connection to the front, but no such luck. its too short.

does anyone know of an adapter or anything that would help solve this 'problem'? (i know its not a big deal...just annoys me to have to pull the pc out of its hole to plug in speakers/headphones.

Old 09-06-2006, 08:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

Most speakers have a headphone jack.

Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / EVGA GTX 760 2GB
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB / WD Red 3TB
G.SKILL Ripjaws 2x2GB DDR3 1600 - Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win7 Ult 64-bit - Func MS3 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Old 09-06-2006, 08:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

well, i don't think my speakers do...and even if they did, i'd still have the same problem. if the headphone cord can't reach around the front of the case to that headphone jack, it surely won't reach to the speakers.

thanks for the thought though.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

...Just use a 3.5mm phono extension cable / headphone extension cable...

Then you can plug the extension cable into the speaker port on the rear of your PC, and have either the speaker jack or the headphone jack plugged into the female end of the phono extension cable. The speaker cable will also have to be long enough.

If you don't want to constantly unplug and plug the jacks, you could invest in an audio hub / phono switch...

...It lets you plug in various 3.5mm inputs and switch between them without having to unplug and plug jacks. The main mic and speaker / headphone cables on the hub are long, and can be split, so you won't need a 3.5mm phono extension cable. However there aren't many around...

...You can get it here:

|Desktop PC| |Macbook Air 13" (Mid 2013)|
|Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)| |AMD FX 4100 Black Edition 3.6 GHz @ 4.0 GHz OC| |Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 PRO| |Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Super Overclock 1GB| |ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 Motherboard| |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD SATA III HDD| |Kingston HyperX 8GB PC3-14900 DDR3-1866| |OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU| |NZXT Vulcan Micro ATX Case|
Old 09-06-2006, 12:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

thanks alvin.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

You can get a little USB Sound card. It plugs into a USB slot on the front of your computer and then you plug your microphone and headphones into it. You can also get something similar which is a cable.
You can Google it for a picture since I tried to attach a picture but it didn't work.

Closed Thread