pls help computer keeps locking up

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlr

In Runtime
hi ive got a problem with my computer locking up it first started doing it while i was playing multiplayer games on internet but now its started doin it while running other applications such as windows media player and paint shop pro etc its seems to of got worse the past few weeks the only thing i have thats differnt is i installed a geforce 4 grafix card but surly this cant be the problem as its better than the intergrated one on motherboard when it locks up i cant use anything i have to restart the computer it never realy gets hot so i dont think its heat related i have asus a7n266-vm 2400 motherboard and its running on xp pro any help much appreciated thanks in advance:(

Did you correctly and fully get rid of the old drivers?

Did you choose the bog standard VGA option prior to installing your GF4?

I assume you have disabled the OB grafix card?

You aren't overclocking your RAM are you? You'll send the whole Northbridge up with it unless you set the divider correctly.

The GF4 - Is its fan clear of other PCI cards?

What OS btw?

looks like it's a conflict between your onboard video and your GF4
like HippyWarlock said, try disabling your onboard video

also, are you using up-to-date drivers? try downloading new drivers from NVidia's website and see if that helps also

HippyWarlock:
OS = Operating System

how do you disable your onboard grafix card i thought once you put a agp grafix card in it just replaced your on board grafix also i went to get updated drivers but wasnt sure which ones i neede any help with this would be great thanks

You Disable it via the Bios & I had a similar problem after I installed my Geforce card. I hadn't COMPLETELY Removed the Voodoo card files. Run a search for your old video card files & I bet ya find some.

hey apokalipse,
when you say
"conflict between your onboard video and your GF4"
do you mean conflict for IRQs or IO addresses ?

In device manager if your onboard video is still present go to the properties and select "disable never use this device " also .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom