Please help, slow computer!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jucam87

Baseband Member
Please help!!!

I have a real problem of slowlyness... I have tried everything...
First I thought it was a problem of viruses, so I made a scan with Norton, then with PC-Cillin(online) and with Panda(online)...
The problem didn't solve, so I then thought it was because of spyware, so I tried with ad-ware, then with spysweeper and with S&D, but it it hasn't changed...
What do you think it may be???
Please Help...
Thanks!!!

You need to give more details of your PC..... and more exact descriptions of "what is slow"

It could be a many things, but you have to help us understand your system before we can start to figure it out.

its like going to a doctor and saying, " Hi Doctor, I'm sick... give me something to feel better."

The Dr. will ask you lots of questions

thanks

When was the last time you did a format or atleast defragged your computer? Both of those help. Also how many processes are running on your machine and in your system tray? And yes we need more details about what kind of specs you have

I have Microsoft XP Profesional Version 2002 Service Pack 2.
Have procesador Intel Celeron
1.10 GHz, 248 MB de RAM

6 processses are going on the system tray, and in general they are 32 (I think that their a lot)

If I'm working on the internet with Flashpeak Slim Browser, the one I use, or Internet Explorer, all the other programs are really slow. If I change of window it takes a while, if I'm playing music and woking on any other program the music may stop or sound distorted. I had this same thing when the computer was blocked, but it was on a different computer.

The last formatted was actually done some very little time ago, about a month. The difragmentation hasn't been done because of the formatting of the disk. This began when I send the computer to someone who helos me when I have viruses, he returned it and since then it has been slow.

I've tried to take all the spyware of it, but this didn't help, I also made several virus scans, online and with norton, but this didn't worked either. I don't know what else to do.

If it had a virus and he returned it virus free it'll still run slow. 32 Processes is a crapload of processes to be running. I generally try to keep it around 18-20 at the most and that's because 3 of them are spyware blockers and temp monitors for my motherboard things of that nature. It sounds like he didn't completely format it but rather install over it so you didn't lose your data but attempted to get rid of the virus. You should back up all your stuff and do a clean format yourself. That is your best bet. Then you can add all your own programs because winXP by default only has like 15 processes. 6 in the tray isn't so bad depending on what they are. I have the nvidia display control panel, SPybot Tea Timer, MBM5 Temp Readings, sound control panel, aim, but each thing although in the sys tray doesn't take up that much resources

Another thing you can try is bringing up Task Manager and click on the Processes Tab then try opening the programs you normally use when it slows down. Check to see if anything is using a lot of your cpu power.

YourPrinter is right. I have never seen a fast celeron. and do what vance said. uninstall sp2 and add ram. Its really hard to run XP without 512 mb of ram

32 processes? ha, i have 45 right now! A lot of that is my antivirus (panda) and a couple of spyware programs. My comp runs just fine, even with that many.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom