Please Help With Power Supply Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

swanster

Baseband Member
ok, I have my new system sorted and my mum is ready to order it for my christmas present. The only problem is that it will suck ALOT of juice and the biggest power supply I can get is 550 watt. I am running an

1 amd fx55 processor
2 nvidia xfx 6800 pci-e sli graphics cards
1 1gb ( 2x512mb) corsair ddr xms3200xl pro twin x cas 2 RAM
1 asus a8n-sli deluxe nforce 4 motherboard
2 maxtor diamondmax10 hard drives
2 asus dvd drives
6 120mm fans
3 80 mm fans
1 92 mm fan

loads of other 'junk' like cold cathodes and other not so power consuming items

So my question is will 1 550 watt Antec true blue power supply provide enough power for these components?

The case I selected (cm stacker) will support two power supplies but I don't know
a) if the motherboard supports 2 power supplies and b) how to connect 2 power supplies together to come on at the same time

Questions

1) will a 550 watt antec true blue power supply power my system?
2) if not what wattage will I need to power the system?
3) will my motherboard support 2 power supplies?
4) how do I connect 2 power supplies together to come on at the same time?
5) Is there a power supply that will give enough power to my system available?

Many Thanks

Carl

Wow, that's a great system. I would get some SCSI drives instead of the Diamondmax drives though. They are a little slow compared to the rest of you system.

I am not sure if 550w is enough, those gfx cards need alot of power.

Thats the problem, finding a lage power supply. I can get a 600 watt one but it only costs like £30.00 or about $60.00 which seems too cheap for a good power supply. If anyone knows where you can get a larger power supply in the uk that is a good one please let me know.

Carl

Cheers for the info so far

On modthebox.com it says that the cm stacker comes with a by-pass dual PSU connector, anyone know what that is?

If I use another power supply it's going to be a 330 watt antec true power, combined with a 550 watt true power I will have 880 watts of power, More than enough power for the system.

here is the link to the review http://modthebox.com/review334_3.shtml

EDIT: that power supply calculating site said I would need 406 watts minimum with one card, it said cards were 110 watts each so that gives a 516 watt power supply minimum, 880 watts is gonna be fine!

Many thanks

Carl

come on, anyone know what a by-pass dual PSU connector is? I really need to know this

That Asus motherboard is going to be great. Is it being sold in Europe already? Supposedly the release date is the 1st week of December.

Dunno if it's being sold yet, at overclockers uk you can pre order it for £187.95 and the expected delivery date is early december.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom