Please, help me decide which CPU to go for!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMT

In Runtime
Hey!

I'm currently considering upgrading my system, and have four CPU's in mind.

On the Intel front:

Intel Pentium IV (SL6WU):
3.0GHz, 800MHz FSB, 512KB L2 Cache

Intel Pentium IV Prescott:
2.8GHz, 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache

Which one of these is the best? I know the standard P-IV is 200MHz faster than the Prescott, but what advantages would the Prescott give me over it? Will the 1MB L2 cache really benefit me? Will the 1MB L2 cache make up the 200MHz difference in speed? Or does the 3.0GHz P-IV take the lead? Please give me your views and opinions.

On the AMD front:

AMD AthlonXP:
3200+ (Barton Core), 400MHz FSB, 512KB L2 Cache

AMD Athlon64 Clawhammer:
3200+, 1600MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache

Which one of these is the best? I know the Athlon64 is as it suggests; a 64-bit processor... But, what advantages will it give me over the standard XP Barton core? The DDR FSB rating and the 1MB L2 cache of the Athlon64 strongly suggests that this is the better processor, but does it really cut the mustard? What about it's compatability with the current 32-bit operating systems and programs?

And finally, the BIG question... Intel Vs. AMD
Whichever you consider best out of the two catagories (pick one from each), could you please compare them and give me your views on how they rival each other in both performance and compatability. Also, comment with any other views, opinions and experiences, etc you may have with these processors. This would maybe include heat issues or the like.

Thank you for your time, and I hope you can help me with my decision.
TMT :cool:

AMD Athlon64 3200+ is the way to go! It definatly does "cut the mustard" (what ever the hell that means, lol ;) )

I just went from Intel to AMD (64). Am I ever impressed. MUCH better performance to cost ratio... MUCH better.

Intel is good for all around application use (windows) and some mild gaming.

AMD is the leader for multitasking and HARDCORE gaming. Plus, AMD64's have a 1600 Mhs FSB (as apose the the 800 Mhz of Intel).

P.S..: The AMD64's are PERFECTLY compatible with Win32/64. Not problem there!

whats ur basic requirement for the pc usage?

I had used AMD 3000+, though now on Intel 3.2 (Northwood), but it is very very difficult to say which one is the best.

in last i'll recommend AMD 64BIT, on Asus A8V Deluxe Motherboard (939 pin verion)

Don't get an Asus mobo. Everybody uses them and recommends them, and only god himself knows why. They stink so much, and are nothing but trouble.

Blind_Arrow said:
whats ur basic requirement for the pc usage?
I'll mainly be using it for audio work. Partly video processing/authoring too. It will get general use obviously, for the likes of word processing, the internet, etc. There will be some Photoshop work done on it, also a posiblity of 3D graphics/rendering in the future. Also, it will be used to play a few of the latest games.

Thanks a lot for the comments so far!

Blind_Arrow said:
in last i'll recommend AMD 64BIT, on Asus A8V Deluxe Motherboard (939 pin verion)

However, I can't speak for that board. Know nothing about it!

TMT said:
I'll mainly be using it for audio work. Partly video processing/authoring too. It will get general use obviously, for the likes of word processing, the internet, etc. Also, it will be used to play a few of the latest games.

In that case, I'd have to say go with the AMD64 for sure.

TMT said:
I'll mainly be using it for audio work. Partly video processing/authoring too. It will get general use obviously, for the likes of word processing, the internet, etc. Also, it will be used to play a few of the latest games.

intel is the choice my friend (i'm not a gamer as well)

buy Northwood core series C

If your going for a 64 bord go with gigabyte they make the best in my opinion come on they put a heatsink on the southbridge its gotta be powerful if not gigabyte then i would say asus or AOpen there nForce 3 chipset kicked ass on benchmakrs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom