PLEASE HELP!!! Games keep freezing!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isnt the aperture size susposed to be either one or two times the size of the memory you have on your card?

the psu problem makes sence, I have alot in my pc and i might not have enough power for it all.

it is the PSU, the ultra requires at least 480. u can get a cheap reliable PSU @ newegg.com i got mine and its 520watts for $50

SNiPeRViRuS said:
it is the PSU, the ultra requires at least 480. u can get a cheap reliable PSU @ newegg.com i got mine and its 520watts for $50

Would this be the same thing for my 9800 pro. Look in my sig, I have alot in my pc, could this be my problem?

i have had the same thing happen to me with my nvidia 5500fx and my asus mobo. i have noticed other people with asus mobos and having similar problems like this with nvidia cards. i dont know what it is about asus and nvidia, they just dont seem to like each other for some reason. i installed an ati 9800 pro and my comp ran fine.

oh, and i was told it could be a PSU problem because i only had a 262 watt cheapie. i went out and got a nice 400watt psu and nothing changed

i wanted to try changing aperture size but my bios wont let me, so i dont know if that would work or not.

my advice, get a radeon.

i had very similiar problems in another pc i owned, p4 2.4 ghz, 512mb of RAM, 9600 graphics, and 350W power supply, it would lock up in graphic games, including counterstrike, doom3, and occasionally rome total war, doom 3 appeared the be the worst for it however, so im not sure. now that im back on my AMD all is well.

Are you running 2 seperate power cables to the video ? Im running an Enermax EG465 watt PS works fine for me. If you tried overclock make sure your CPU voltage isnt to high.Try resseting to defaults on the MB and see if it will stabilize your system . Run the newest Memtest/Prime95 etc...Will your system complete a Benchmark like 3Dmark03/05 ?

chziime said:
Games like Far Cry and Half Life 2. For HL2, I played for like 40 minutes, then it just froze and the sound kept repeating on and off and it WOULDN'T STOP no matter how long I wait. The same happens for Far Cry. I have the 6800 Ultra with the newest NVidia drivers, and the Asus Socket 939 motherboard. I have an Enermax 460 Watt PSU. I have all of the latest drivers for everything in my system. This is so annoying! I can't beat the part in HL2 after you get the crowbar and this one level in Far Cry because of this! I fixed my computer's heat problem by using "Minimal power management" in my power options to get Cool and Quiet to work, and my games never go above 60 degrees. This fixed some overheating corruption, but it didn't fix my freezes.

This computer was made custom online, BTW.

Your problem is actually NORMAL. Nvidia's Direct3D support is usually very unstable. They are more known for their OpenGL support. This is opposite for ATI GPUs. ATI's are better kwown for their Direct3D support and not OpenGL support.

The games you listed....Far Cry and HL2 are Direct3D games. The games keep freezing because of the Nvidia drivers, most likely. You just have to wait until a patch is released by either Valve or Nvidia.

This is OF COURSE if you have enough power in your PSU. You need at least 500W to power the 6800 Ultra...isn't it? Most gamers recommend a 600W with that power hungry overheating super GPU. If you don't have enough power games freeze...if your card overheats which is another PSU problem it will often REBOOT your machine not just freeze it.

What's your cooling system?

Leonidas said:
i had very similiar problems in another pc i owned, p4 2.4 ghz, 512mb of RAM, 9600 graphics, and 350W power supply, it would lock up in graphic games, including counterstrike, doom3, and occasionally rome total war, doom 3 appeared the be the worst for it however, so im not sure. now that im back on my AMD all is well.

Read my post above. All those games you listed are OpenGL.

I don't think it's a cooling problem. I fixed my cooling problems. Doesn't the 6800 Ultra only need lat least 350 or something? The 460 thing turned out false...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom