PLEASE HELP!!! Games keep freezing!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chziime

Baseband Member
Games like Far Cry and Half Life 2. For HL2, I played for like 40 minutes, then it just froze and the sound kept repeating on and off and it WOULDN'T STOP no matter how long I wait. The same happens for Far Cry. I have the 6800 Ultra with the newest NVidia drivers, and the Asus Socket 939 motherboard. I have an Enermax 460 Watt PSU. I have all of the latest drivers for everything in my system. This is so annoying! I can't beat the part in HL2 after you get the crowbar and this one level in Far Cry because of this! I fixed my computer's heat problem by using "Minimal power management" in my power options to get Cool and Quiet to work, and my games never go above 60 degrees. This fixed some overheating corruption, but it didn't fix my freezes.

This computer was made custom online, BTW.

updated your sound and vid drivers and dx?? I know its sound thats skipping, but can still be related to vid. Also update mbd chipset (agp miniport drivers etc). I'm assuming you've rechecked head indexes, also shut down all backgroup programs. Another thing to try is set its priority. Have to do this quick, though. cntrl alt del, put it to processes, run half life 2 and when you see the hl2 process running, right click click priority and set it to high. This MIGHT make it unstable, though, so if it does you'll need to restart the computer. Dont goto real time though

another thing to try, and may wanna do this first, is browse to the steam folder in Program Files, Valve, Steam, then SteamApps, then the folder for your username, then half-life 2. In the Half-Life 2 folder you should see a bin folder. Copy the contents of the bin folder into the half-life 2 folder

Well the sound skipping is only a side effect to the game freezing. I have all latest drivers and DX anyway, and I'm sure that the website installed all other drivers. How can I test my PSU?

there are calculators and programs that will do that for you. Try and move the bin file, though. That has solved other peoples problems of hl2 crashing to the desktop.

I have the same problem, I have been trying to trouble shoot it but no luck yet. My system is in my sig. I had the vpu recovery error when i had ati drivers, when i switched to omega, i just get the lockups. I wiped my drive and tried a fresh install. I happens in bf1942dc and two different flight sims. I havent gotten hl2 because i want to fix this problem first.

I really dont know what the problem is. I ran memtest86 with one error after 6 hours and 11 cycles. So i dont think its the ram. The vid card is new. I am out of ideas.

Help would be appreciated.

I have eliminated my RAM, Video card, and Sound card (because it just wouldn't make sense), so I think it may be my and AND_YOU_ARE's PSU. Which PSU do you have?

I have a 400 watt Antec.

It might make sence, that not enough power is getting through. I have alot of things in my case. Three hds, two optical drives, three pci cards, a fan controler and a good number of case fans.

This might be something I have to look into.

I also heard that you can lower your APG Aperture size in the BIOS. I'll try this, then I'll further investigate my PSU if it doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom