Please Help - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 03-07-2005, 11:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Please Help

I have just built the following spec PC: (Only the Motherboard and processor are new all the other components have been working in my Athlon 3200+ for about 8 months with out a single hitch)
AMD3200 64bit (754pin), Asus K8V-X, Samsung 512Mb DDR400, ATi Radeon 9600 256Mb, Samsung 160Gb SATA, CD-RW, DVD-ROM. The problem is that it boots up and if you don’t touch it stays on but as soon as you run anything it locks up. I can usually complete 3 clicks before this happens. Has anyone any ideas?

It was suggested that the PSU I was using may have been cheep and nasty it was a “Q-Tec 650Watt” I have now bought an Antec 480W True Blue, but am getting the same fault, I have tried the Windows XP 64 that works for about 2 mins. I am currently trying Windows XP Pro with SP2 integrated as I have a fully licensed version and that lasts even less time.

Please help I am running out of hair to pull out.

Old 03-07-2005, 11:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

mobo's are very finicky.

make sure you have installed ALL bios drivers for it.

especially the AGP drivers for the mobo itself.

as for the newest ATI drivers for the 9600.

that antec PSU seems alright...

also, try reseating the CPU, maybe it's overheating and needs thermal paste.

also your "old" RAM sticks may not be fully compatible w/ your new mobo, check the manual and see what it says is the correct RAM sticks to get.

but i had that problem w/ my new mobo, and after i installed the chipset drivers, it stopped...misbehavin'.

\"I am not young enough to know everything.\" - Oscar Wilde
Old 03-07-2005, 02:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Something probally got fried or overheated with that other power supply. Once stuff overheats. it crashes with out much use.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

It kinda sounds like you are having an overheating problem. When you boot up, check your BIOS and check your temps

Intel E6750...........PSN: ELBATROP
XFX nForce 650i Ultra
Patriot PC2-6400 8GB (4x2GB)
eVGA 9800GT
36GB WD Raptor
120GB SG
Logitech X-530
Samsung SyncMaster 931c
Samsung SyncMaster 750s
Windows 7 Home Premium 64
Old 03-07-2005, 04:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

Do you get the same problem if you run it in safe mode?
Old 03-07-2005, 05:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks guys
I have striped the PC down three times, the thermal paste I am using is Arctic Silver 5, CPU is running at about 45 after it crashes that doesn’t seem that hot compared with the Athlon 3200+ I run (not sure what the 64bit CPUs run at). I can see where you are coming from with the drivers but the PC won’t stay up long enough to install the latest drivers I will try safe mode (I forgot about that, good idea thanks), I get back to you.
Thanks once again.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Looks like the Motherboard don't like the ATi Radeon 9600.
I have now installed a Radeon 9800XT Pro and it seems stabile, well at least its worked for the last 1 hour and thirty mins. playing Half-life 2 without crashing.......

) I hope???

Closed Thread