Please help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KShef

Baseband Member
When I boot my computer it says "A disk read error occurred. Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart."

When I press Ctrl, Alt, and Del it does it again. This is all it does.

It reads a Norton Ghost disk, but it reports an error there too.

Can anyone help?

crashed dude dont think you can do anything but reboot it with your os. What were you tweakin on it?

This may be obvious - but if there's a non-boot disk in the floppy drive - make sure you remove it!

Thanks for the replies.

I wasn't tweaking anything. I just came home from work and noticed it was shut down (it's usually running). I booted it and it gave me the "read error" message and has been doing that ever since. I think Mr. Zeeedler is right because we frequently check for viruses and defrag.

My brother-in-law guesses the hard drive is defective. I plan to try an OS reload. If this doesn't work, I guess he's right.

My Ghost image is on CDs. I think I've misplaced my 3.5-inch boot disk.

There was no non-boot disk in the drive when the problem occurred.

Thanks anyways, fellas. Anyone with suggestions please let me know.

Try to boot the latest version on norton from the norton disk, it is alot more in depth of a scan than the normal ones, you might have a virus.

Thanks fellas! Here's the latest....

So far, I've found that my main hard drive malfunctioned. I'm not sure whether or not a virus caused this, but I installed another hard drive and borrowed a Ghost boot disk from my brother-in-law (mine didn't work for some reason). From there I was able to use the Ghost image I saved to CD and so far I'm back to normal. I'm in the process of scanning my drives for viruses.

Thanks fellas.

awesome least you didnt lose it. I would back up your files and reboot if you can though, well if your computer has gotten slower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom