Please Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pc_boy

Daemon Poster
I just built a computer with parts from newegg and it worked fine untill one time I turned it on, and after about 10 minutes the computer suddently turned off. It would not work anymore. The power supply smelled a little, and I think it fried. Now I got a new powersupply, same brand as before and it still won't work. The LED on the mobo will turn on, but nothing happens when I press the power button. All cables are plugged in, even all the little ones. PLEASE HELP!!! What could be wrong with it?

I would REALLY REALLY appreciate some help or advise!!

Here is the hardware I used:

Asus Nforce 2 ultra 400 N78X-X Mobo
Barton 2500+
Corsair XMS 256MB DDR 400
Radeon 9600SE 128MB apollo 3
Western Digital 120GB HD ATA100 8buffer
POWMAX case with 400watt PSU (the one on newegg with side panel window for 27bucks)

Please help if you can!!!!!

Thanx ahead!!!!!!

Oh my. I did that once. With an ASUS board too. In my case the board was dead. The fan would twitch a bit when the pwr was on, but that's it. I was fortunate, I swapped out the board ( & the power supply )and all the other parts were still good. When a PS goes bad, you can lose it all. ( Lord knows my son and I have experienced it! ) If you have another board, try it out. If the dead board was new, try to return it. My son was able to do that at Fry's. Just said it stopped working, and they gave him a new one, no questions asked. Good luck!

try removing all components from the MBD except the mem and processor (cards, I mean... not HDD IDE cable and such). See if you get a post error for no vid. Put in the vid card and keep going to see what happens. With the vid card in ONLY you should be able to boot. If still nothing, then yeah, start with MBD.

MAke sure that u have connected the Front panel connectors properly ..

MAke sure the polarity of the powerswitch connector is rite?

if you are getting to the POST: dead processor

If not getting to the POST: dead motherboard (at least, probably more)

wansingct said:
if you are getting to the POST: dead processor

If not getting to the POST: dead motherboard (at least, probably more)

That's wrong ... there would not be any kind of POST if either the processor or the mobo is bad.

Pcboy .... Try powering on the machine by shorting the pwr pins in the front panel connector layout ..instead of using the power switch ....

I would also suggest clearing the cmos once .. if it still doesn't work .. send the mobo for replacement.

good idea, try shorting the power bridge. HOPEFULLY just a problem in the switch. Doubt it, but would be MUCH cheaper instead of the whole MBD. Also, no post does not mean bad CPU. Hell, I've had some vid cards that were just not properly seated and it would hang without a post. Sometimes it can hang during the DMI POOL with no post, and that can tend to be a HDD. There can be a post if the processor is bad, at least according to this site. Dont know if this is just his own testing or what, though...

http://www.ocforums.com/archive/thread/218664-1.html

I know its not the same MBD, but dont know what the beep codes are on this one. Kind of weird, though... but guess it never hurts to check. I'd see also what happens with everything out, at LEAST try to generate a beep code if shorting doesn't work.

killians45 said:
... Also, no post does not mean bad CPU. Hell, I've had some vid cards that were just not properly seated and it would hang without a post.

Once again killians45... Think for ur self ..if u put a dead cpu on a workin' mobo ..would it boot up?? No it won't ...

killians45 said:
Sometimes it can hang during the DMI POOL with no post, and that can tend to be a HDD. There can be a post if the processor is bad, at least according to this site. Dont know if this is just his own testing or what, though...

N' in any case ... i think u have the wrong idea 'bout what POST is

POST=Power On Self Test
This is the screen prior to it coming to the DMI pool verification..
The post is where the system just boots up n' counts down memory n' checks for hardrives etc..

I was thinking if the Light Emitting Diode on the Motherboard lights up, then the mobo is probably not fried. And, in my case, is there any change that the CPU is fried?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom