Please Advize, Failure over Time %age?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jolancer

Daemon Poster
For anyone that knows or who may build comps for a living. or just has a lot of experience.

It would be usefull to me if someone new... what the percentage rate for any hardware failure over time might be? like when are you generally out of mircky water?

Fictional example - like the chances of hardware failure in a newly built computer would be 75% more likely during the first week? or month? or hour? you get the picture.

depends on what brand you get. a junky PSU could last a month or two for example but a nice one will last for a few years+

all depends what brand but different parts will fail more than others.

i think most PSU's are rated to last 100k hrs, thats 11yrs.

but just assume a decent computer for the example. not a cheap one, but not an expensive one.

Depends on duty cycle and lots of other factors, since the late 90's, most failures Ive seen have been due to cooling fans dying first. Ive had a couple psu's die cause the cooling fan quit after 4 or 5 years on non stop operation and then the psu overheated and burned out.Other than that, things have been very very reliable.

Ive got a duron 800 system sitting here that has only been shut off maybe 3 or 4 times since it was built years ago, its doing just fine.I also have several machines older than that which work just fine.Ive got 3 cheapo hard drives that have been dealing with 4-10GB's per day of thruput for2 years and they keep on keeping on.

Non cooling related parts that ive had fail have done so early, like shortly after they were turned on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom