PIII 450 mhz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dell XPS

In Runtime
i have this computer thats a p3 450mhz with 178mb ram and 8gb
hard drive. i was wonder what i could use it for since there isnt much use for it since it cant handle being a file server or anything. any suggestion welcome.:)

oh yeah i was wondering i could turn it into a firewall. does anybody know how to do that and it i need to buy software for me to be able to do this?

I had some extra parts from customers exchanging for newer parts. I kept the parts and was able to build a few PCs out of them. They were around the same specs as this one. I threw a hotswap drive bay in each as a second hard drive and had a few drives (about 7) floating around with songs, software, and movies. It'll work great as a file server. I wouldn't use it as a medium between you and the internet. You may be dissapointed with the results. But just as file/print server works great. Not too much stress and you can just leave it a corner with an extra large sencond hard drive always powered on. Once you get your network going you can either use a KVM switch and do without the extra Monitor, Keyboard, and mouse. Or just set it on the network and off to the side somewhere and just use a Remote Administering application to access the machine for maintenence, reboots, etc.
**Just some thoughts**

-Mike

thanks for the reply mikesgroovin

so my rig is able to handle a 300 gb hard drive? so even though its slow u still would be able to make it a file server. if so thats cool and what hard drive would you recommend mikesgroovin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom