PII 450 now running at 322 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 03-02-2004, 12:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default PII 450 now running at 322

i got a major problem. recently i bought a new 80GB HD. since my computer is an old one, i tried to upgrade my bios to no avail. i can't find the right version of the bios file in manufacturer's site. so i bought an ATA133 ide controller card. that doesn't help either. i can see the HD in device manager but it doesn't show up in "my computer". what really upsets me is that i just realized that now my computer running at 322MHz instead of the original 450MHZ. i have used this computer for almost 5 years. it always says PII 450MHZ. does anybody knows why my computer is acting like this? or know how to fix it? i don't really want to upgrade coz this is my last semester. i'll be moving and i won't take this computer with me.

Old 03-02-2004, 04:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

what are the specs? what bios are you running? OS?

\"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.\" Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 03-02-2004, 10:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

Your bios settings for your FSB are wrong. Your multiplier of 7 on your processor times a 66 mhz FSB will give you your 450, if you turn the FSB down to 33, the CPU speed is 225. Set your FSB speed back to 66 and you should be fine.
Shuttle XPC SB61G2
P4 2.8 800 Mhz FSB
1024 Dual channel DDR400
ATI AIW 9700 Pro
120 GB Maxtor SATA
Lite-On 411S DVD+-R/RW
Logitech Elite Duo wireless KB/Mouse
Old 03-02-2004, 02:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

old pentium bios are set entirely different thah amd BIOS. i think you need to set correct FSB ratio also. if you could write down or take a picture of the CMOS setup screens we could tell you what to change.
Old 03-02-2004, 04:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

first, what is FSB?? my bios is abit bx6 version eg. if i'm not mistaken, my cmos screen says the hard drives in primary master and slave, then there's the floppy drive. i have to get back to yo on that. anyway, if i can, i'll try to figure out what's FSb and set it back to 66 again.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

it's all fixed. my computer is running normal again now. thanks for all your help guys.

Closed Thread