A piece of hardware im looking for...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dasanator

Beta member
hi, i need a wireless Ethernet hub (im not sure if thats what its called).
the features of the product i need are:
ethernet(wired) or wifi(wireless) - in
ethernet(wired) and wifi(wireless) - out

is there anything like that out there, if so what is the price?

okay im not too technical, but this is the problem, my router is upstairs on one side of the house and my x box(which is only wired) is downstairs on the other side. I cant get wifi down there at all, and there no cable or ethernet ports down stairs. so i need this device to ?boost? the wifi signal that is already there and put it out again, while also have ethernet ports...
thanks

You would be wanting what is called a range extender. Although, another simple solution would be to either purchase a router with a larger initial range, or have an electrician wire your house for an ethernet port downstairs. If you can't get any signal at all, even with a range extender it will be a much weaker signal.

Having the electrician run an ethernet link from the upstairs router to the downstairs location would probably be the best option. Wired is always better than wi-fi for gaming. You could also run it through vents or just down the stairs yourself if you want a less permanent and cheaper solution.

I've used a 100ft ethernet cable to run from the basement all the way up to the upstairs bedroom one time when I was desperate for my Xbox Live. Now, though, in my apartment everything is wired up by the TV so it's all right there.

You will need a signal booster or repeater. Along with another router. The booster to boost the signal to get it across the house and then the router at the other end to connect to the XBOX.

Of course you could just run a cable. As long as you dont extend it past 100 meter you should be alright. That is 328 Feet. So i think you could drop a cable down to your basement, run it across the basement and back up to the room where the XBOX is and still have cable left over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom