A piece of hardware im looking for... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 03:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default A piece of hardware im looking for...

hi, i need a wireless Ethernet hub (im not sure if thats what its called).
the features of the product i need are:
ethernet(wired) or wifi(wireless) - in
ethernet(wired) and wifi(wireless) - out

is there anything like that out there, if so what is the price?

Old 02-26-2009, 03:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to NightSurge
Default Re: A piece of hardware im looking for...

How many ports do you need? You are basically describing an ordinary wireless router at the moment, because they usually have an ethernet 5-port switch included.

If you need more ethernet ports, attach an ethernet switch to the wireless router via an ethernet cable.

Ethernet Switches: Newegg.com - Network Switch, Linksys Switch, Wired Network Switch, Netgear Switch, ProCurve Switch, Stackable Switch
Wireless Routers: Newegg.com - wireless router

If I was helpful, please click the icon on the left hand side of this message that looks like a check mark Thanks!

Old 02-26-2009, 03:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

okay im not too technical, but this is the problem, my router is upstairs on one side of the house and my x box(which is only wired) is downstairs on the other side. I cant get wifi down there at all, and there no cable or ethernet ports down stairs. so i need this device to ?boost? the wifi signal that is already there and put it out again, while also have ethernet ports...
thanks
Old 02-26-2009, 03:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to NightSurge

You would be wanting what is called a range extender. Although, another simple solution would be to either purchase a router with a larger initial range, or have an electrician wire your house for an ethernet port downstairs. If you can't get any signal at all, even with a range extender it will be a much weaker signal.

Having the electrician run an ethernet link from the upstairs router to the downstairs location would probably be the best option. Wired is always better than wi-fi for gaming. You could also run it through vents or just down the stairs yourself if you want a less permanent and cheaper solution.

I've used a 100ft ethernet cable to run from the basement all the way up to the upstairs bedroom one time when I was desperate for my Xbox Live. Now, though, in my apartment everything is wired up by the TV so it's all right there.

If I was helpful, please click the icon on the left hand side of this message that looks like a check mark Thanks!

Old 02-26-2009, 03:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

You will need a signal booster or repeater. Along with another router. The booster to boost the signal to get it across the house and then the router at the other end to connect to the XBOX.

Of course you could just run a cable. As long as you dont extend it past 100 meter you should be alright. That is 328 Feet. So i think you could drop a cable down to your basement, run it across the basement and back up to the room where the XBOX is and still have cable left over.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 02-26-2009, 04:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

I have two edimax ew-7209APg units and they have been great but the DVE power adaptors they come with have broken 2/3 times for me.

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Closed Thread