Personal Processor Opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FghtinIrshNvrDi

Fully Optimized
Hey guys. I'm throwing a computer together for myself in the relatively near future. Here's what I want out of the system. Basically, I'm going to be playing Age of Empires III on it when it comes out this holiday season. I'm kinda wondering what advantages I'll notice if I get and AMD Athlon 64 3200 versus the AMD Athlon XP 3200. Will I notice a difference?

You see, I was under the impression that computers with 3200 as model numbers would operate at almost the same speeds. The price difference between these two mobo/processor combos are substantial. I can get the XP 3200 for $142 and the 64 3200 for $243. I'm not looking to spend a fortune. I want a computer that won't be obsolete in a year either.

Other components are under control. I was just wondering if it's really necessary to have 64 bit, or it will be necessary to have it in the next 3-4 years. I don't think they'll be phased out, and in 3-4 years I don't expect to have a top-of-the-line PC either. As long as it still works.

Ryan

Yeah the AMD 64 will be better (not much for AOEIII)

However in the future when more x64 bit software comes out you'll notice a bigger and better difference.

Go for the 64 bit one ..... get the Vencie core!

The AMD XP will perform slower than the AMD 64. Reasons are that the XP doesn't have hypertransport, nor does it have an integrated memory controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom